1996 bronco, how do you remove a gage from a cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Rusty,
"The 87-96 fuel & temperature gauge bodies are identical (clockwise) & interchangeable by prying the needle off & removing the 2 screws holding the body to the face plate.
To reinstall the needle, the gauge must be powered & have a known signal applied (usually the minimum) before stabbing the needle so it points to the proper reading." by banned member Steve83

Motech

Reaction score
Dunno if it helps, but here's a view of coolant temp gauge with Ford description:

1666695078774.png

The magnetic gauge movement consists of three primary coils, one of which is wound at a 90 degree angle to the other two. The coils form a magnetic field which varies in direction according to the variable resistance of the sender unit which is connected between two of them. A primary magnet which is attached to a shaft and pointer rotates and aligns to this primary field resulting in pointer position. The bobbin/coil assembly is pressed into a metal housing which is attached to the instrument cluster. *These gauges require no adjustments, calibrations or maintenance. This gauge system does not use an IVR.

*This warrants comment.
Because they REQUIRE no adjustments does not mean they are NOT adjustable. Unsure of 96 vintage F-Series gauges, but it is my experience on every Ford analog temp gauge I have accessed for inaccuracy (usually reading too hot), there is a little adjustment lever just inside the back-side of gauge, accessible with cluster removed, but without gauge removal. You can tweak it with a pocket screwdriver and adjust for accuracy up or down. If memory serves, usually 1/4 to 1/3 of adjustment range nailed it.

Just a mention in case you're chasing something similar. And too, I've never tried it on Fuel gauge or Volt meter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK