welding on 1996 bronco xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rusty scuppers

Reaction score
I have a 1996 bronco xl that am trying to restore with 240,000 miles on it and so far I rebuilt the tailgate,e4od trans,replaced a leaking water pump, spark plug and wires which I thought was the hardest truck I've ever done! Now I've started on the interior I changed the instrument cluster to one that has an rpm gage, I took out the seats and ripped up vinyl flooring to see what was underneath, MAN what a surprise a lot of surface rust the jute was still wet even though its been and inside of a heated garage for 4 months and the weather has warm, anyway I found one rust thru so far, I do have a mig welder and like to repair it. It is about an inch in diameter near the drivers side floor pillar. What must I do to prevent damage to my electrical systems obd2, air bag, and such.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I have a 1996 bronco xl that am trying to restore with 240,000 miles on it and so far I rebuilt the tailgate,e4od trans,replaced a leaking water pump, spark plug and wires which I thought was the hardest truck I've ever done! Now I've started on the interior I changed the instrument cluster to one that has an rpm gage, I took out the seats and ripped up vinyl flooring to see what was underneath, MAN what a surprise a lot of surface rust the jute was still wet even though its been and inside of a heated garage for 4 months and the weather has warm, anyway I found one rust thru so far, I do have a mig welder and like to repair it. It is about an inch in diameter near the drivers side floor pillar. What must I do to prevent damage to my electrical systems obd2, air bag, and such.
honestly, disconnect the battery and ground close to your welds and all will be well, plus keep the ignition off, (even though the batt is disconnected)
Hope that helps.
Cheers

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have always disconnected the alternator and left everything else. The diodes in the alternator cannot handle it if the ground is good where you are welding.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
honestly, disconnect the battery and ground close to your welds and all will be well, plus keep the ignition off, (even though the batt is disconnected)
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Sorry, I just noticed that wasn't completely clear.
"Ground your welder as close as possible to the area you will be welding."
Cheers

chrlsful

Reaction score
hey, listen, some rigs are portable welding shops on wheels.

I'm thinkin of gettin a PullPal ready welder mig for my bronk
(lill spool gun). Back country welding at trail side might B a
good side income at those pleasure events. Just get the 'super
alternater" (w/2 'leads' - a "gun" 'n a "ground") !
8^ )

OP
OP
R

rusty scuppers

Reaction score
I should have responded sooner but Thank you to all for the advice. In addition to the to the advice I am thinking about removing the fuses to the airbag and obd2 that would cost a lot if I lost them. I can't help but wonder how many rigs have this problem of hidden moisture.

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
Probably most of them-except for those that aren't existing where the ambient humidity is extremely low year round.

Think of the many years of condensation sneaking in to get trapped under that vinyl-even before any spills, melted snow, rain or body/window seal leaks letting actual water get in directly through flaws in the vinyl. OR moisture from below the sheet metal-through overlapped seams that aren't perfectly sealed-or through the holes from missing/torn or loose body plugs.
The same thing can happen under mega-buck rubber floor mats that are left in place forever.

wyo58

Reaction score
The vinyl flooring is way worse for trapping water than carpet, at least carpet can breath some and release any moisture that gets into the Jute padding.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane