1994 bronco 4 wheel drive problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhpt99

Reaction score
Hey, I was looking at this 1994 xlt bronco for sale and it had automatic 4 wheel drive but every time you hit the button it felt like the rear tires were spinning faster than the front or the front tires were locking up but it drove great when it was out of 4 wheel drive. It almost felt like the truck was hopping and you could see the rear tire make little 1/4 or half turns. Could it just be the front tires are frozen up from not being used? ( by the way i tried it on road and off road and the truck appears to be stock so i dont think they changed any gears )

Thanks for the help !! :)>-

6627774587_241656370_IM1_MAIN_240x180_A_240x180.jpg

bidibronco

Reaction score
If your tires have a hard surface that doesn't give to much then in 4wd it will kind of give the illusion that the rear is spinning faster than the front. Even if you tried it "off raod" were you in a place where the tires would slip a little bit? If not you're creating a lot of stress on the front end and also a lot of drag on the whole drivetrain.

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
If your tires have a hard surface that doesn't give to much then in 4wd it will kind of give the illusion that the rear is spinning faster than the front. Even if you tried it "off raod" were you in a place where the tires would slip a little bit? If not you're creating a lot of stress on the front end and also a lot of drag on the whole drivetrain.
I was in the gravel when i tried it.

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
If it is any help it has 122,000 miles on it and other than that the truck ran perfect !!!

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Try this.

Get a marking crayon or something.

Put her in 4X4.

THen drive her straight forward for more than ten feet.

Walk around the truck and mark all four tires with a vertical slash (that's up and down.. lol ) where they meet the ground.

THen drive her straight forward for 100-200 feet, and stop.

Get out of the truck and take a look at the markings on the tires.

The crayon marks that you put on the tires should all be pointing in the same direction.

IF NOT... THERE is a problem!

Let us know what the results are.

We can go from there.

joe

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
Try this.Get a marking crayon or something.

Put her in 4X4.

THen drive her straight forward for more than ten feet.

Walk around the truck and mark all four tires with a vertical slash (that's up and down.. lol ) where they meet the ground.

THen drive her straight forward for 100-200 feet, and stop.

Get out of the truck and take a look at the markings on the tires.

The crayon marks that you put on the tires should all be pointing in the same direction.

IF NOT... THERE is a problem!

Let us know what the results are.

We can go from there.

joe
I would like to try this but the truck wont move. The back tires just make like little 1/4 turns when off road and on the street the truck wont move. It is almost like the emergency brakes are on ( but there not ! lol ). :wacko:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I would like to try this but the truck wont move. The back tires just make like little 1/4 turns when off road and on the street the truck wont move. It is almost like the emergency brakes are on ( but there not ! lol ). :wacko:
dhpt99,

you said that you road tested both on and off road. Now you said that it won't move.

Please give us more additional information so that we can help you. We can spend hours guessing but most of that time is just a waste.

I am guessing that when you put it in 2wd it runs fine.

When you put it in 4 wd it locks up. I am correct?

What else can you tell us?

Does it have manual or push button to engage 4X4?

Mike G

Reaction score
The day before I bought my 92 the guy I bought it from had a safety inspection performed on it. Well they ended up changing the driver side lower ball joint and a new muffler. Good for me right? Well the good old boy that changed it put the wrong one in. The stud was about half of a inch to long and got into the front knuckles. About 2 days later I found this out when i was happy to see snow to give the new 4x4 a go. The front L/H wheel felt as it was locking up every quarter turn. That 1/4 turn was the wrong ball joint hitting from prop shaft knuckle (u-joint). The 4 wheel worked when I test drove it so after looking under it and trying to turn the front shaft when the hubs where disengaged it wouldn't turn. Then i noticed the scarring on the knuckles.

Have a look and make sure the front knuckles are both turning when you rotate the front D/S by hand and are not making contact with the lower ball joint studs.

The scary part was the correct lower ball joints have a snap ring that keeps them in place. The ones they put in didn't have this.

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
When i test drove the truck i pulled it out on to the street and put it in 4 wheel drive ( it has push button 4x4 and a 5.8 motor with 122,000 miles on it). The truck wouldnt move. So i took it out 4 wheel drive and found some lose gravel down the street and tried it again. NO luck. The back tires tried making these little turns. It felt like both front tires were locked up. When it was out of 4 wheel drive it ran and drove perfect. I hope this is helpful. Thanks!! :)>-

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
When i test drove the truck i pulled it out on to the street and put it in 4 wheel drive ( it has push button 4x4 and a 5.8 motor with 122,000 miles on it). The truck wouldnt move. So i took it out 4 wheel drive and found some lose gravel down the street and tried it again. NO luck. The back tires tried making these little turns. It felt like both front tires were locked up. When it was out of 4 wheel drive it ran and drove perfect. I hope this is helpful. Thanks!! :)>-
Yeah that helps a lot.

It sounds like you have a problem in your front differential, or your transfer case.

I would guess that either repair could be about $500 - $2,000 , give or take $500, depending upon what is wrong, new or used parts, and if you did the work or had a shop do it.

I hope that helps with your decision.

joe

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
Yeah that helps a lot.It sounds like you have a problem in your front differential, or your transfer case.

I would guess that either repair could be about $500 - $2,000 , give or take $500, depending upon what is wrong, new or used parts, and if you did the work or had a shop do it.

I hope that helps with your decision.

joe
Yes it does. Thanks alot!! I now have decided to find a truck in a little better shape.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat