1991 Straight six ECU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Bronco4.9

Reaction score
Hey Guys, this is my first post on this forum and was wondering if anyone could help with a little timing problem. My Bronco is a 1991 with the 4.9 and that five-speed mazda tranny and the timing does not advance. It will idle perfectly solid at 10 degrees but doesn't move or moves very slightly and randomly when revved. I have replaced the distributor with a new one and that didn't help and I had the ignition module checked and it came back good. I'm guessing it is the ECU. But it's expensive to have it checked at a shop and I don't want to replace it if it's not the problem. I have a 1988 F-150 with a 5.8 as a parts truck and was wondering if I could just switch ECU's and run the bronco with the f-150 computer? Just momentarily to see if that fixes my no advance problem. Would putting the 8 cylinder ECU into the straight six bugger up the injection timing and make the engine not run or could that fry any of the other electronics doing that? I'd like to test the ECU right but the shop wants $150 for that. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Did you try pulling codes?

If so what did you get?

When you set your timing, did you pull your SPOUT connector?

Earlier this week we had a member get all kinds of crazy codes, and it ended up being a bad ground.

Pull codes if you haven't and let's take a look at them.

joe

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Sounds like the spout connector is not plugged in or not making contact allowing the EEC to take control . If it was in control you would see the timing mark constantly moving . I have an EEC from a 92 with a 5 speed . The 5.8 EEC will not work on that wouldnt even fire up . If your EEC with the 5.8 also had a C6 tranny behind it I would trade you if you wanted . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Sounds like the spout connector is not plugged in or not making contact allowing the EEC to take control . If it was in control you would see the timing mark constantly moving .
Sure... now that you mention it, it is so obvious! Well my friend... that's why they pay you the big bucks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Have a great weekend.

joe

OP
OP

91Bronco4.9

Reaction score
My parts truck does indeed have the C6 Tranny. It's a 1988 5.8 4x4 with the BW1356 and C6. If that 92 5-speed ECU you have came from a 4.9 I would definately trade you my F-150 ECU for it. My email is [email protected]. Let me know. I live in Logan, Utah.

Steve W.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23