1988 full-size. In over my head.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris gowan

Reaction score
I'm new to this, just joined today. I'm struggling to bring my bronco back to health after it caught on fire under the hood with previous owners. The main engine wiring harness was destroyed and I couldn't find an exact replacement. I put one from an 87 f150 on it including the injector harness and it runs, but it spits and sputters and has no power nor reliable idle. Also the key switch wont activate the starter solenoid. Any information wold be invaluable at this point.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Chris,
Welcome!

New harnesses may still be sold at https://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=291
"

WE HAVE MOVED!!! Our address is same as Ron Francis Wiring: The Detail Zone, 200 Keystone Road, Chester, PA 19013

Ask if they still carry the original Detail Zone: 1988 FORD 302/351/460 TRUCK INJECTOR HARNESS

FH-I460%20worked.jpg

This is a direct fit replacement for the injection harness found on 1988 Ford Bronco, F-150 and F-250. Harness is correctly dimensioned and finished with correct coverings and harness wrap tape. Includes connections for injectors, throttle position, idle speed control and coolant temp sensors. Fits 302 (5.0), 351 (5.8) and 460 (7.5) engines.

Or;
Description
Part #
1988 Ford Truck Engine Harness​
FH-I460​

1989 FORD 302/351 TRUCK ENGINE HARNESS

FH-50T%20worked.jpg

This is a direct fit replacement for the engine harness found on 1989 Ford Bronco, F-150 and F-250. Harness is correctly dimensioned and finished with correct coverings and harness wrap tape. Fits 302 (5.0) and 351 (5.8) engines.

Description
Part #
1989 Ford Truck Engine Harness​
FH-50T​

FORD TRUCK 2G ALTERNATOR HARNESS

FH-T2G%20Worked.jpg

Replace your deteriorated factory alternator harness with this direct replacement. Fits 1988 to 1991 Bronco and F-Series.​

Description
Part #
Ford Truck 2G Alt Harness​
FH-T2G​

●□●
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part; Search: 1988 >Ford > Bronco > Electrical > Engine Wire Harness > Alternate Engine Wire Harness
results with call for prices, andinfo such as transmission type, etc;

Winston Auto Wrecking
390 SE Main Winston, OR 97496
541-679-5625

BS Auto Salvage
3637 South Hwy 301 Wildwood, FL 34785
352-748-1150

C & L Auto Dismantling
3413 Edison Hwy Bakersfield, CA 93307
661-366-7710

Farritor Auto Parts
1654 Soth 'E' Broken Bow, NE 68822
308-872-6411
●○●

Here's the 1988 Dealer Brochure by Ford via Edwin Storm @ Hot Cars

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site
Al

OP
OP
C

Chris gowan

Reaction score
Yo Chris,
Welcome!

New harnesses may still be sold at https://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=291
"

WE HAVE MOVED!!! Our address is same as Ron Francis Wiring: The Detail Zone, 200 Keystone Road, Chester, PA 19013

Ask if they still carry the original Detail Zone: 1988 FORD 302/351/460 TRUCK INJECTOR HARNESS

FH-I460%20worked.jpg

This is a direct fit replacement for the injection harness found on 1988 Ford Bronco, F-150 and F-250. Harness is correctly dimensioned and finished with correct coverings and harness wrap tape. Includes connections for injectors, throttle position, idle speed control and coolant temp sensors. Fits 302 (5.0), 351 (5.8) and 460 (7.5) engines.

Or;
Description
Part #
1988 Ford Truck Engine Harness​
FH-I460​

1989 FORD 302/351 TRUCK ENGINE HARNESS
FH-50T%20worked.jpg

This is a direct fit replacement for the engine harness found on 1989 Ford Bronco, F-150 and F-250. Harness is correctly dimensioned and finished with correct coverings and harness wrap tape. Fits 302 (5.0) and 351 (5.8) engines.

Description
Part #
1989 Ford Truck Engine Harness​
FH-50T​

FORD TRUCK 2G ALTERNATOR HARNESS
FH-T2G%20Worked.jpg

Replace your deteriorated factory alternator harness with this direct replacement. Fits 1988 to 1991 Bronco and F-Series.​

Description
Part #
Ford Truck 2G Alt Harness​
FH-T2G​

●□●
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part; Search: 1988 >Ford > Bronco > Electrical > Engine Wire Harness > Alternate Engine Wire Harness
results with call for prices, andinfo such as transmission type, etc;

Winston Auto Wrecking
390 SE Main Winston, OR 97496
541-679-5625

BS Auto Salvage
3637 South Hwy 301 Wildwood, FL 34785
352-748-1150

C & L Auto Dismantling
3413 Edison Hwy Bakersfield, CA 93307
661-366-7710

Farritor Auto Parts
1654 Soth 'E' Broken Bow, NE 68822
308-872-6411
●○●

Here's the 1988 Dealer Brochure by Ford via Edwin Storm @ Hot Cars

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site
Al
Man thank you. Oh and as far as the starting, it was the neutral safety switch.

Brian.campbell

Reaction score
How is the idle ? I would bet either map sensor or the capacitors inside the ecm . I replaced map mine improved but replacing the the capacitors in the ecm it idles like a champ.

OP
OP
C

Chris gowan

Reaction score
How is the idle ? I would bet either map sensor or the capacitors inside the ecm . I replaced map mine improved but replacing the the capacitors in the ecm it idles like a champ.
I've replaced every sensor. The only thing I haven't done was mess with the computer. Everything im finding is pointing to the 87 wiring harness being incompatible with my 88.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Chris,
When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the condition. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause conditions such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly. Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost.

See my vacuum leak test @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/help-with-dtc-codes-and-idle.206824/

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....

OP
OP
C

Chris gowan

Reaction score
Yo Chris,
When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the condition. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause conditions such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly. Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost.

See my vacuum leak test @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/help-with-dtc-codes-and-idle.206824/

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

OP
OP
C

Chris gowan

Reaction score
I didn't find any vacuum leaks, but I finally found a replacement neutral safety switch after contacting Ray at Henry's parts depot. Its a little pricey but as hard to find as it is I'd say its reasonable. He's a real nice guy too. Lots of stories. I'm going to go ahead and order a wiring harness from ronfrancis.com so atleast I'll be certain of what I have.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo