1988 Bronco - Alternator wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pblakesley16

Reaction score
Hi All.

As I have been going through everything within the engine bay of my '88, I unbolted the alternator and it fell out - all the way out. Upon inspection, I noticed the wiring going to the solenoid had melted. Not sure if it was me or the previous owner. I only have a 65amp alternator.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a new wiring harness for a 65amp Ultima Alternator on a 1988 Bronco 351w? I am not really interested in upping the amps to 100+, I don't really need that since all I'm running is stock.

Thanks for any help. - PB

Attachments

• IMG_6106.jpg
    IMG_6106.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6104.jpg
    IMG_6104.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6102.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 18

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo PB,
Consider a BBB Industries alternator. See this review @
For some reason I can't type or copy and paste the website' URL. See it in below screen shot;

Screenshot_20220205-090613_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220205-090638_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220205-085232_Chrome.jpg

Harness;
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part.
If a specific part isn't listed, search again for the next higher assembly, such as

Search: 1988 >Ford > Bronco > Electrical > Engine Wire Harness > Alternate Engine Wire Harness

¤
Car-Part.com--Used Auto tParts Market
Can select certain parts
Can search by year range, such as 92 through 96 & has best item condition descriptions such as "COVER BAD LEATHER PWR BKT GRY"
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay
¤
Bronco Used Part Search @ Ford Bronco Parts | Used Auto Parts with source, cost, yard and phone #
¤
Concord Spare Parts @ Spare parts for your cars, trucks and special vehicles
732-374-3872
[email protected]
¤
Home | Pick-n-Pull
This is a Company name w/yard locations in various states
Can NOT Select certain parts
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles
¤
B&R Autowrecking, in CA, WA, NV, OR. "We have a fleet of over 60 trucks that deliver to business addresses all over Oregon and Washington. Outside of Oregon and Washington, we have daily shipping services. Contact Us for a quote."
"Will ship to their closest yard for $50 flat" by member StemCellResearch", 2019
¤
Row52
AND Want a Part? It's Easy...
1. You create a Parts Wanted Listing.
2. Parts Pullers respond with offers.
3. You pick the best one.
A Parts Puller gets the parts you need.
¤
By a search function;
Truck Ford
¤
Pull-A-Part SEARCH INTERCHANGEABLE PARTS INVENTORY, @ SEARCH INTERCHANGEABLE

OP
OP
P

pblakesley16

Reaction score
Yo PB,
Consider a BBB Industries alternator. See this review @
For some reason I can't type or copy and paste the website' URL. See it in below screen shot;

View attachment 29276

View attachment 29277
View attachment 29275

Harness;
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part.
If a specific part isn't listed, search again for the next higher assembly, such as

Search: 1988 >Ford > Bronco > Electrical > Engine Wire Harness > Alternate Engine Wire Harness

¤
Car-Part.com--Used Auto tParts Market
Can select certain parts
Can search by year range, such as 92 through 96 & has best item condition descriptions such as "COVER BAD LEATHER PWR BKT GRY"
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay
¤
Bronco Used Part Search @ Ford Bronco Parts | Used Auto Parts with source, cost, yard and phone #
¤
Concord Spare Parts @ Spare parts for your cars, trucks and special vehicles
732-374-3872
[email protected]
¤
Home | Pick-n-Pull
This is a Company name w/yard locations in various states
¤
B&R Autowrecking, in CA, WA, NV, OR. "We have a fleet of over 60 trucks that deliver to business addresses all over Oregon and Washington. Outside of Oregon and Washington, we have daily shipping services. Contact Us for a quote."
"Will ship to their closest yard for $50 flat" by member StemCellResearch", 2019
¤
Row52
AND Want a Part? It's Easy...
1. You create a Parts Wanted Listing.
2. Parts Pullers respond with offers.
3. You pick the best one.
A Parts Puller gets the parts you need.
¤
By a search function;
Truck Ford
¤
Pull-A-Part SEARCH INTERCHANGEABLE PARTS INVENTORY, @ SEARCH INTERCHANGEABLE
Helpful as always.

Another question (or two) if you have a moment: I pulled the wiring harness and noticed several areas that were worn beyond normal or melted. Many of the wiring "branches" were hard and cracked when I tried to bend them. Any idea as to what caused this? Ignition harness specifically.

And question two: Block is out being bored. When it comes back I am worried about putting everything back together. Is there a resource out there besides the electrical engineering diagrams that says: "this grey thing hooks into the side of the flat panel with three bumps on it."

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if there are resources to explain wire connections like you are asking about. Usually though, stuff only reaches or plugs into one place and can't go any place else. Though it may seem overwhelming once you start into it then it isn't so bad.
Got to remember one wire at a time.

We used to put a ton of remote starters in. I had a few guys that just refused, thought it was impossible. I sit them down and get them to focus on one wire at a time. before they knew it they were done and it even worked. Don't let your mind wander.

Cracks in wiring happen for a lot of reasons. Age, heat cycles. My son replaced an alternator and for no reason it melted down and took the wiring with it. Replacement parts can cause lots of problems that don't show up till later. Maybe a bad alternator was stuck on high current, got the wiring hot. Maybe a loose connection from a different install created extra heat. It is just a normal part of life.

OP
OP
P

pblakesley16

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

When I pulled the wiring I noticed a lot of "repairs". I don't know all that much about electrical - but whoever did the fixes prior was a few twigs short of a tree. It's a mess.

chrlsful

Reaction score
Its time to start over (am still in this phase).
Just how far back you go is up to you. A 35 y/o
system can go thru alot. BUT alota choices too.
Expensive (Painless, AutoWite, etc) whole harness
(not just alt wire). I like some of the 12 or 14 circuit
"hot rod' harnesses on flee bay (reasonable price). U can
go to the opposite end of the scale & buy 'pig tails' (just the
'clips' that go on the alt) and a spool of 3 or 4 color wires that
match & match the corroded system on the rest of ur rig. I'm going
a bit 1/2 & 1/2 as I have 2 batteries now, 90/130 a alt, new mini starter
(the last 2 allow me to smooth most the wires out of the bay, up the power.
No matter what U choose - if U have a camera & can make pic of ur Qs, issues
WE R HERE to HELP (& some pretty experienced guys here).

OP
OP
P

pblakesley16

Reaction score
Thanks for the input/feedback. As I have made my way through the rest of the wiring over the last couple of days, more issues are popping up.

Called a local auto electric guy yesterday who was referred to me by my pals over at NAPA. He can rebuild the whole system for about $1000. Add in a 3G Alt and wiring and I can walk away for about $1400. Not too bad in my mind considering the time invested to learn, find, buy, create new myself.

On your 2nd battery - I have been considering that as well. Easy to do?

cwtaylor737

Reaction score
The alternator wiring connector failure in a related to an under designed harness for the 2G Alternator. There was a recall on this in the early 90's. I haven't bought a 2G lately but they all used to come with a new pig tail to splice in. If you need the pig tail you could get it from your local auto parts store or Rock Auto for about $10. It takes about 15 minutes to install. Obviously, you could switch to a 3G or get an aftermarket solution.

The wiring cracking is related to the plasticizers coming out of the PVC that was used in those wires. Obviously, it will depend on the level of your build on what you do. If it is a show truck you could use a Painless kit or American Wiring Harness to redo it. If is more of an off-roader/driver then you might just want to replace the wiring that is badly cracked. Most minor cracking will not cause any issues. If it is an issue you will know it pretty quick. I know that sounds like questionable advice, but this is assuming you don't want to throw cubic dollars at it.

OP
OP
P

pblakesley16

Reaction score
Not questionable at all. I didn't know about the splitter and to date, I have just been fixing what needs to be fixed not messing with any of the wants.

I'm a teacher so the truck is budget friendly and just a fun off road truck to take on the weekends with the family - nothing too tough. $1500 for wiring will take me about 4-5 months to save in my "fun account". Would rather spend that on the engine components that are all over the garage.

chrlsful

Reaction score
mini starters R nice too (got own solinoid).

Asan 'egg head' (teacher, non-mechanic) U can do the whole thing w/an inexpensive flee-bay 14 curcit harness - ie start over. Research 1st (bronk, wiring, after mrkt's offerings, ele systems). I'm doing it but havea friend w/boots on the ground assistance. -0- auto (or other) ele knowledge (was a private home contractor [handy] and community development pro [desk job].) Also - I dont have big bucks to just give it away and say "Do it 4 me. "Mother of Invention'n all~

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22