1,300 mile trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Well I got a promising job offer. Go over details tomorrow and if all goes well, I'll be moving to Seattle, from Colorado.

So I'm now at 323,576 miles on the 302. I've replaced some basic parts. However is there anything I should check into detail such as any brake hoses an akward spots on the rear axle? I'm going to be overlooking some common stuff but don't want to forget to check anything major that may be hiding or covered in dirt.

I'll be towing a 6x12' full and a few things in the truck for weight, plus the pets.

With this job comes a huge pay raise so I'm excited to be able to buy some new toys an motor for the SUV if all goes well!!

Krafty

Reaction score
if its been a while since the brakes were serviced it would be a good idea to get the fronts and rears looked at. also check the brake lines for Excessive corrosion. other than that just top up the oil, coolant and check your tire pressure. ( also important on the trailer).

And lastly Transmission fluid.

my 89 f150 with the 302 pulled a 16 foot car trailer designed for tractors and my 4000lb Thunderbird for almost 4 hours straight without stopping without even a hint of an issue.

you should be alright. if your stopping over anywhere, before you leave the next day check as much as you can again to see if there was any serious changes from before the first leg of the journey.

Good luck adam, and congrats on the new job.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Thanks! See I forgot about the tire pressure..

I did a trip 3 or 4 years ago and the bronco ran for 3 days straight only turning off for gas. Slept in the back seat.

Anyway, any way to lower stress on the brakes? My rotors were warped after that trip, due to excessive braking down hills I assume.. Expensive fix needless to say

Krafty

Reaction score
I would have to say the best way to save toasting the fronts would be to make sure the rear drums are adjusted properly. the self adjusters have a tenancy to get rusted and seized up. you should be able to feel the shoes dragging on the rear drum when you slide it on or off.

if the rears are "pulling their weight" so to speak that will take a lot of stress off your rotors and improve your stopping distance

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I'll have to check that out this weekend.

I wish the rear was disc as well.. I plan on upgrading sometime in my life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj