93 ford bronco engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juggy38

Reaction score
so I have a 93 ford bronco 351w with the automatic overdrive transmission. the oil pump failed, and I need to replace the engine. I want to do the MAF conversion and I have been told I want to get a "roller block". I want to add aftermarket heads, cam, full exaust, ect. I would like around 400hp at the crank.I know ill need a ECU and other items, has anyone done this swap before?

OP
OP
J

juggy38

Reaction score
or can I just find like a 95/96 ford truck that already has a 351 with MAF and swap that

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo J,

WELCOME!

some SD to MAF info;

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion & Parts List with Cost in a 93 F150, 5.0, E4OD; "...For this article, I will be doing a 93 Ford F-150, 5.0, E4OD trans. Because they don't make a kit for this, I will be re-wiring the harness, and using a PCM and MAF out of a 95 f-150, 5.0, E4OD. If you have a truck with a non-electronic Trans, like the old AOD's, or C-6's, etc, you can use a MAF conversion kit..." Read More

Source: by Mike C at http://web.archive.org/web/20101008161856/http://www.eecperformance.com/mafconversion.html

and part 2 @ http://web.archive.org/web/20101008163805/http://www.eecperformance.com/mafconversion2.html

Here is the narrative in case article is lost in WWW **** again;

"MAF conversion- Part 1

Speed Density Versus Mass Air...

Speed density systems calculate load from the RPM of the engine, the Density of the air in the intake, and the temperature of the intake air. The Density of the air is calculated using a Manifold Absolute Pressure(MAP) sensor, which is attached to engine Vacuum. Intake air temperature is measured by a Air Charge sensor(ACT) or on newer vehicles they are called Intake Air Temperature(IAT) sensors. This setup relies on the fact you have not changed anything, the programming in the control module is specific to a certain engine/drivetrain, and is not very adaptable.

Mass Air Flow Systems directly measure the volume of air going into the engine using the Mass Air Flow(MAF) sensor. This sensor has a two wire element, the hot wire is heated to 200 degrees Celsius above the incoming air, the ambient(cold) wire serves as a reference temperature. As soon as air flows, both wires are cooled, the control circuits then apply more voltage to keep the hot wire 200 degrees Celsius above the intake air, this creates a voltage signal which is monitored by the Control Module. The greater the air flow, the more the wires cool and the higher the voltage.

As you have probably already gathered, the Mass Air system is highly adaptable, and is well suited for high performance applications, and gives fairly good drivability on a performance vehicle. On a Speed density system, just changing the cam can cause the car to be undrivable.

What you need to do the conversion

For this article, I will be doing a 93 Ford F-150, 5.0, E4OD trans. Because they don't make a kit for this, I will be re-wiring the harness, and using a PCM and MAF out of a 95 f-150, 5.0, E4OD. If you have a truck with a non-electronic Trans, like the old AOD's, or C-6's, etc, you can use a MAF conversion kit.

Ford racing part numbers:

PART NUMBER YEAR/VEHICLE/ENGINE TRANS

M-9000-A51 1986-88 Mustang 5.0L ** EFI only Manual

M-9000-B50 1986-88 Mustang 5.0L ** EFI only Automatic

M-9000-T50 1987-93 F-Series 5.0L/5.8L EFI Truck only (Will not fit Lightning) Manual

M-9000-T51 1987-93 F-Series 5.0L/5.8L EFI Truck only (Will not fit Lightning) Automatic — AOD only

These kits come with the processor, MAF jumper wire harness, MAF sensor, hoses, clamps and brackets. The truck kits also come with SEFI wire harness, and the upper airbox.

I gathered some of my parts from a salvage yard, the mass air meter and air-box anyway, I couldn't find the air-tube, it runs from the throttle body to the MAF, so I made one, but I think I you look long enough you are bound to find a used one, it seems that most salvage yards discard this part. K&N also makes a air intake kit for the F-150 that would work well for this. I also couldn't find a used PCM, so I bought a new one, it has to be a 95 5.0 with Mass Air and a E4OD trans, keep in mind there are some 95 5.0 SD PCM's out there. The catch code on the one I got was WAY1, VEX1 will also work. I also needed the MAF sensor pigtail, I was able to find one at the local dealership, part # 3U2Z-14S411-CA.

The speed density systems on the trucks are "batch-fired", what this means is that all 4 injectors on each bank are fired together, and then the other bank is fired. In a Sequential Fuel injected(SEFI) car, like the mustangs(sd or MAF), each injector is fired sequentially in the firing order of the engine. Also another note is the firing order will change, the newer MAF trucks use the 5.0 H.O/5.8 firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8), but the older SD trucks use the old 289/302 firing order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8). I am using a mustang H.O. camshaft in the trucks engine anyway, so this works out great.

Ford PCM part numbers

AKC0 - 5.8L - F8TF-12A650-NA (MAF conversion kit EEC)

BIO0 - 5.8L - F5TF-12A650-BYA (stock 94-95 MAF 5.8L/E4OD)

VEX1 - 5.0L - F5TF-12A650-HB (stock 94-95 MAF 5.0L/E4OD)

WAY1 - 5.0L - F5TF-12A650-JB (stock 94-95 MAF 5.0L/E4OD)

MAF conversion- Part 2

Wiring harness changes

The first thing I did on my truck is get wiring diagrams for both a 93 F-150 E4OD and a 95 F-150 E4OD, and then comparing the two, I made a list of what needed to be changed. Several wires just needed to be swapped in the EEC connector, and a few new ones needed to be ran(injectors, MAF plug). Below is a list of what I had to change:

SEE article for better table for following:

MAF conversion 93 F-150 to 95 F-150

93 pin # Description(color) move to pin #

9 data - (pnk-lt blu) 19

31 can. purge (gry-yel) 11

11 am2 - (brn) 34

12 4WD low(blu-blk) 42

28 Data +(tan-org) 18

29 HEGO(gry-lt blu) 44

51 AM1(wht-org) 31

42 TOT(org-blk) 49

52 SS1(org-yel) 51

19 SS2(ppl-org) 52

49 Not Used Not Used

- Injector 1 58

- Injector 2 59

- Injector 3 39

- Injector 4 35

- Injector 5 15

- Injector 6 12

- Injector 7 13

- Injector 8 14

- MAF return 9

- MAF 50

First remove the battery cables. You will have to run a new wire to control each injector. I found it easier just to take the upper intake off to get to the injector wires, and splice into the control (-) side of the wire, be sure and solder here, you don't want this to come loose. Also be sure and use shrink-wrap insulation on all the wires to keep the weather out. Now pull apart the PCM connector and swap the wires you need to swap, this is easily done(see pics). Now you need to connect the wires from the injectors to thier proper locations in the connector. There are two options here as far as a terminal ends for the wires, one would be to get an old EEC IV connector and pull the terminals out of it and splice them into the new wiring. The other option is new connectors, you can order up some new connectors and many other wire harness repair parts from www.fordfuelinjection.com.

Also you will have to run new wires for the MAF connector:

MAF plug wiring

MAF pin # Description Location

A VPWR splice into red wire(VPWR #37) somewhere in harness

B Ground Good chassis ground, or pin 60 ground wire.

C MAF Return PCM pin # 9

D MAF PCM pin #50

Also See MAF connector diagram below for pin layout:

Be sure you soldered and shrink-wrapped everything, and now plug the EEC connector back in to the NEW PCM, put your upper intake back on, put your MAF, air box, and air tube on and plug in the new MAF. Now hook up your battery and fire it up!

A word about PSOM

What is PSOM you ask? It stands for Programmable SpeedOmeter Module. The PSOM feeds the PCM the speed information and the PCM shifts the Transmission. From about 92 on up had this(The PSOM is identified by two push buttons, reset and select at the top of the speedometer, a standard speedometer needle, and a digital LCD display for the odometer/trip.), if you are earlier, your speed sensor signal will not work for the 95 PCM. The ABS sensor sends a raw signal (108 pulses per rev) to the 4WABS module, which repeats that signal to the PSOM. The PSOM uses the conversion constant to change the raw signal to a standard 8,000 pulses per mile, and sends THAT signal out to the EEC, the cruise module, and the overhead console (for use by the thermometer)..."

=========

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion & Parts List with Cost for Bronco, F 150 & Mustang

Source: by C. Asaravala at http://web.archive.org/web/20110822190009/http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/10/MassAirConversion/index.php may need to register to view pages 2 & 3.

Here is narrative, see url above for page 1 pics and this narrative; "

Last month when we introduced you to our latest "project" vehicle, appropriately titled the Big & Ugly Work Truck, we indicated where we were headed with the 1989 F150. We were pumped that it was a 5.0L, which in our minds meant Mustang like modifications would ensue. However, we knew the "speed density" fuel injection system would need to be upgraded to a mass air flow system in order for the engine to respond properly to induction upgrades. Well here we are, and we're going to show you how to do it, and why.

Speed Density was Ford's earliest method of electronic fuel injection. Fuel injection of any type works by monitoring various sensors to determine engine load and then adjusting the amount of fuel delivered to maintain the desired air-fuel ratio. Speed density systems are called so because load is calculated by the speed of the engine (rpm) and the density of air within the intake manifold, as measured by the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. Intake air temperature is also measured and used as a correction factor. Speed density systems are accurate because the data within the control module (e.g. computer) is based around the specific engine configuration. For instance, the speed density computer in our F150 contains spark and fuel tables specific to the F150 5.0L engine. Thus speed density systems are not adaptable to significant changes in an engine's volumetric efficiency. One you start adding cams, heads, etc. the computer cannot compensate properly because it is operating around a pre-set range of air volume which that particular engine will consume.

Mass air flow (MAF) systems evolved later and are highly adaptable because they directly measure the volume of air going into the engine. The mass air flow meter mounts between the air filter and throttle body, and consists of a pair of small wires located within a calibrated housing. One wire measures the temperature of the ambient air, while the other wire is always heated to 200° greater than the ambient or "cold" wire. The amount of air flow through the meter and the temperature of the air results in cooling of the wires. The resultant voltage output signal is sent to the computer to make fuel adjustments based entirely on how much air is going into the engine. Add heads, cams, intakes and superchargers, and the system is able to compensate. While there are limits, they are not insurmountable with some tuning.

The speed density EFI systems on trucks and Broncos also presents another weak point, and that is in the way the injectors are fired. In the speed density system the injectors are "bank fired", meaning that four injectors for one bank of cylinders is fired simultaneously, followed by the other bank. In fact, in our introductory article to this project, we incorrectly presented the trucks speed density system as being asequentially fired system as they were on the speed density EFI Mustangs in 1986 and 1987. This can be confirmed by looking at the wiring configuration of the truck speed density computer harness (see page 3) which indeed shows injectors 1,4,5 and 8 on one pin while 2,3,6 and 7 are wired together on another.

Converting to mass air not only gives our engine more accurate air-fuel ratio management and adaptability, but also rewards us the throttle response and fuel economy by way of the sequential electronic fuel injection (SEFI).

Planning the Conversion

There are several ways to go about making the conversion on 1987 to 1993 pickups or Broncos. However the preferred method largely depends on the type of transmission you have. If your truck has the E4OD automatic transmission (typical on the 351 and 460 equipped trucks and 93-95 Lightnings) then you have to consider that this transmission is controlled via the engine's computer. The most common mass air conversion calls for using the 88-93 Mustang computer, which does not have E4OD control. The options in this situation are to use a 1995 or 1996 F-150 or Bronco computer, as by that year the trucks were mass-air and all running E4OD's. Other E4OD owners have creatively performed the mass-air conversion using the Mustang computer to control all the engine functions, while retaining the stock speed density computer to handle the electronic transmission. Finally, many have taken the more drastic approach and replaced the E40D with an AOD, C6 or manual gear box. Either way, if you have an E4OD equipped F-150, Bronco or Lightning and want mass air, you have some research to do. Spend some time at the National Lightning Owners Club (http://www.nloc.net/) or at Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum (http://www.ford-trucks.com) and you'll get plenty of ideas.

For the purposes of this article we are focussing on trucks which came equipped with AOD or manual transmissions; neither of which have any interaction with the computer. For these vehicles the mass air swap options are quite simple. Which option you select comes down to your patience and pocket book. The most rudimentary of swaps would come from pilaging all of the materials (injector and mass air harness, computer, and mass air meter) from a donor vehicle, such as a post-87 5.0L Mustang. Getting the parts would be easy. You'd then have the arduous task of cutting up your factory harness and the Mustang harness and splicing it all back together in accordance with the wiring diagram for the mass-air equipped Mustang. Alternatively, you could get the entire EEC-IV harness from the Mustang and replace the truck harness. Neither of these tasks are for those who get queasy seeing their vehicle in a major state of disarray. Sure, you'll save some money, but at the expense of major heartache. If you're feeling like you need the challenge at least use Bjorn Bremb's documentation as a guide.

The other alternative, and most costly, is to purchase an off-the-shelf mass-air conversion kit. Ford Racing's M-9000-T50 and T51 kits cost about $800 and include all the electronics (wiring and mass air sensor) and hard parts (computer, air-box lid, ducting.) If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket this is by far the most convenient choice.

The final method, and the way we opted to roll, is a compromise in price and convenience. Professional Mass Air Systems offers a conversion harness at a third of the price of the full Ford Racing conversion. The harness (see side bar) is better termed a lay over harness, as it is intended to install along side the factory harness. The wiring includes eight sequentially fired injector connectors, an additional (left side exhaust) heated oxygen sensor, mass air sensor connector, as well as power and ground leads. Also included are wiring for the vehicle speed sensor and fuel pump relay monitoring. The harness comes with detailed instructions indicating which pins need to be moved, replaced or spliced at the factory computer connector. If you purchase this harness then what you need to bring to the table to make the mass air conversion happen is the following:

Part Required Donor/Source Est. Price

EEC-IV Computer (mass air) 88-93 Mustang 5.0L

(e.g. A9L, A9M, A3M) $125

Mass Air Sensor & Meter 88-93 Mustang 5.0L $50

Narrow Band Heated Oxygen Sensor 88-93 Mustang 5.0L

(PN: $25

18mm Oxygen Sensor **** Summit G-2990 $5

Throttle body to mass air meter "Y" duct F5TZ-9B659-F

-or-

fabricate

$?

We like the idea of sourcing the hard parts ourselves because it allows considerable flexibility in pricing and the parts we select. For instance, we in fact had several left over stock mass air meter assemblies from our past Mustang project cars. This helped keep the costs down. Furthermore, if you are performing this swap in conjunction with performance enhancements then you can just purchase the upgrades (e.g. bigger mass air meter) from the get go. For instance, we able to adapt our K&N cold air kit, as you'll see later on in this article. Incidentally, perhaps the most aggravating part of this swap is figuring out how to get the two throttle body tubes to converge into the single mass air meter housing. The simplest way would be to obtain or fabricate a "Y" connector, such as what is used in the Ford Racing conversion kits. We've heard you can purchase this separately from Ford, however we did not look into this. We're sure anyone handy with a welder could fab this up as well. The other option is to purchase the factory bellows (see side bar) which is on '95 and up 4.9L 6cyl F-150's.

Performing the Conversion

The mass air conversion took us about 4 hours to complete. In fact it probably would have taken less time if we had not spent an hour preparing to remove the upper intake manifold for easier access to injectors 1 thru 4. Ultimately we decided not to remove the intake and just put up with the fuss of wedging our hands under the plenum to disconnect the connectors

We began the conversion by installing a second oxygen sensor. The '89 F150 came with a single sensor installed in the exhaust crossover right before the catalytic converter.

Since we're working on the cheap, we used this Bosch sensor leftover from one of our past 5.0L Mustang projects. Pick up an O2 sensor **** from most good parts or muffler shops.

The new sensor was placed in the driver-side exhaust pipe, several inches after the manifold.

With the work under the truck completed we popped the hood and worked on installing the mass air meter (MAF) into the intake tract.

Our earlier decision to install a K&N air intake system turned out to make this job simpler in that it alleviated the need to merge the factory dual air inlet hoses (see "Connecting the MAF" side bar) into a single pipe for connecting the MAF. All we had to do was trim a few inches off the end of the K&N tube.

The meter will be secured to the fender with a bracket to keep it from bouncing around. As you can see the K&N filter kit makes the installation a breeze, with the conical filter clamping directly to the end of the meter. We're using a mass air meter from a 1992 Mustang. Any 1988 to 1993 meter will work fine, so long as you use a EEC-IV computer from the same era 5.0L Mustang.

(Speed Density to Mass Air continued)

Requires Subscription

Page

1 2 3

In This Article:

We convert our Project "Big & Ugly Work Truck" from speed-density to mass-air to reap the benefits of sequential electronic fuel injection (SEFI) and adaptability to future engine modifications.

Also See:

Big Ugly Work Truck Introduction

This is the objective; installing a 88-93 5.0L Mustang computer and mass air flow (MAF) meter in place of the speed-density system in 87-95 F150 and Broncos. These units came from a 1992 Mustang.

To make it happen we need a wiring harness. This "overlay harness" is from Professional Mass Air Systems. It does not replace the entire engine harness but rather provides the injector, MAF and other connections required by the new mass-air computer.

The most intimidating part of the swap is "re-pinning" the factory speed-density connector. The new harness however comes with most of the crucial wires labeled with the function and pin position, making the job very straight forward.

Connecting the MAF

The factory 5.0L and 5.8L F150 and Bronco engines utilize a dual throttle-body with dual intake hoses running to the air box. This makes it challanging to plumb in a mass air meter. Short of fabricating your own 2-into-1 piping, we think this is the perfect piece. It is from a 1995 4.9L six cylinder F150. (Ford PN: F5TZ-9B659-F). One caveat, it is discontinued, so chances of ordering at the Ford parts counter is slim, however you may only be able to find it from a wreck.

+++++++++++

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion for EFI in an 89 357W

Source: by Tim C (TnTbronco2, Trail Truck, Street Truck, Crazed, Broke, OoG) at http://www.supermotors.org/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=1725&s=27217#content

=====

"...A mass air sensor directly reads the mass of air (or number of molecules of air). By doing this, it can detect the changes in the volume of air, in addition to it's pressure and temperature. Mass air EFI is usually what is called SEFI (Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection), which has one separate wire for each injector and fires them twice for every power stroke of the engine. This makes the injector timing more accurate and will help emissions along with power..."

=

As you read over the table below you’ll notice that Speed Density is not an underachiever and Mass Air is not the superhero most people want. It’s all in the programming. You can not take a stock automobile computer, build a super engine for it, and expect it to be a drag strip killer. Programming rules the land of fuel injection. Speed Density can be programmed to handle more power than Mass Air. Mass Air can be programmed to be more exact that Speed Density. This exactness is what makes Mass Air more desirable.

There are four styles of fuel injection programming that I know of; here is a side by side comparison of them:

read more by Ryan M at

http://web.archive.org/web/20110901093407/http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=4

OP
OP
J

juggy38

Reaction score
so my local guy quoted me around $1500 to pull out the engine, rebuild it, and put it back in. Also, I cant find the WAY1 or VEX1 computer for sale. where do I get one? I wonder if there is a place to buy like a complete 95' rebuit motor with MAF out of like a 95 truck or bronco with the ECU

Im in central Arkansas. I need help!!!

OP
OP
J

juggy38

Reaction score
F5tf 12a650-bxa..........will this one work? also does it have the j3 port so it can be tuned for aftermarket displacement/heads/cams ect?

Seabronc

Reaction score
so I have a 93 ford bronco 351w with the automatic overdrive transmission. the oil pump failed, and I need to replace the engine. I want to do the MAF conversion and I have been told I want to get a "roller block". I want to add aftermarket heads, cam, full exaust, ect. I would like around 400hp at the crank.I know ill need a ECU and other items, has anyone done this swap before?
You won't get 400 HP out of a stock 351W.  If you do juice it up, you will also need to beef up the running gear or it will be snapping drive shafts, u-joints, axles, etc. 

God luck and welcome to the BroncoZone

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo j,

As Seabronc advised.

If you really want to try the upgrades; check local yards; check NAPA, etc.

VEX1 F5TF-12A650-HB Calif. Eemission (**** miesk5 NOTE with 4.10 rear diff - see http://www.merkurencyclopedia.com/EEC-IV/EECTEC10.PDF for this ratio info

WAY1 F5TF-12A650-JB Fed. emission

BIO0 F5TF-12A650- BYA

This is by John O.;

you wanted to do a Mass Air conversion, then you will need one of these... which are for 5.0, but still work perfectly fine for a 5.8 with a E4OD.

HOG0 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD / F4TF-12A650-AAA - Requires 94 Solenoid Pack in E4OD

U4X0 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD / F4PF-12A650-AA - Requires 94 Solenoid Pack in E4OD

VEX1 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD / F5TF-12A650-HB - Requires 95 Solenoid Pack in E4OD

WAY1 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD / F5TF-12A650-JB - Requires 95 Solenoid Pack in E4OD

The first two are out of 95 F-150's with mass air, 302, E4OD trans, and the BIO0 is out of a 95 Bronco with mass air , 351, and E4OD trans, and is very similar to the ACK0 used in the FMS mass air conversion kits. After looking at the stock files for the VEX1 and the WAY1 using a tweecer, there are only four or so tables that are different between the two. One of them is an EGR table and the others are slight differences in the tranmission shift scheduling and mph points..."

see Ford EEC Program Codes;

by Ryan M (Fireguy50) Fuel Injection Technical Library

http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page17.html

VEX1 5.0 94-95 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD / F5TF-12A650-HB

WAY1 5.0 94-95 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD / F5TF-12A650-JB

How to install a computer chip

by Ryan M (Fireguy50) Fuel Injection Technical Library

http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page77.html

Shows J3 Port and hot to-- will be in VEX1 and WAY1

EFI Performance Upgrades

http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page9.html

Aftermarket EFI Computers