460 swap ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfan22585

Reaction score
i am thinking of a 460 swap on my 83 i think that getting a truck with a 460 and c6 for a donor would be the best way to go so i have a complete engine what year truck would work and will any bb c6 work for this swap? also other that engine mounts and exhaust is it just bolt it in or are there other mods that need to be done?

Ogeechee 4x4

Reaction score
i think that it'd be a pretty straight-foward swap. The motor mounts will either have to be changed or moved (can't remember which). I think you may need special headers, too.

Check out L&L Products. They use to be the "go to guys" for big block ford swaps.

http://www.landlproducts.com/

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, a donor truck like a 1978-1996 F-250/ F-350 would be a good choice, but any 460 from a car or truck will work. You'll need to change the motor mounts, either re-locate the oil filter or notch the engine crossmember, and use a rear-sump oil pan if you swap in a car 460. I have athread on the 460 swap in my 84 Bronco from an 88 f-350 with the C6 and B-w 13-56 t-case, JSM84

Here's the thread:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...;460+swap\

There's afew more if you search "460 swap". (be sure to use the " marks before and after your search topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

fordfan22585

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i tried to do a search but forgot the " " marks so i will try again later. i was planning on buying the motor mounts and headers from L and L . I just want to do my research so i have everything i need and it all goes as planned. now all i need is a truck to get things started.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I am using the L&L 460-swap motor mounts, too. Bought them from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and they carry most of the rest of the L&L swap parts. JSM84

BB33's

Reaction score
If your looking for an engine and trans combo be sure it comes out of a 4x4 or else the transfer case won't bolt to the transmission.

Forgot to add that a pre smog 460 or 429 timing chain set and heads will make a smog motor run alot better, the smog motors have like a 8 to 1 compression ratio and the timing chain and gears come way ******** and they run lean. I put a manifold,carb, and bumped up the timing on my '85 460 and it really showed why these motors trumped the diesels and are good for power.

OP
OP
F

fordfan22585

Reaction score
i see that L and L sells the kit for well over a grand is it worth it if im getting a compete engine from a truck or is most of what comes in the kit not necessary like the brackets and the oil pan? Also can i buy headers for a 250/350 or are the L and L the only way to go?

Justshootme84

Reaction score
The L&L swap kit with all the brackets and stuff is manily for a car 460 or a plain longblock without the A/C, PS, ALT, etc. I haven't found any longtube haeders that will fit my 84 Bronco. While the L&L ones will clear on the passngr side, they interfere with the driveshaft on the other. I'm running stock manifolds with no exhaust for now (offroad only) until I can afford some shorty 460 headers or make some "zoomies".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23