edelbrock intake help 400M

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FORDPLAY

Reaction score
hey i have a edelbrock 400M intake and the gasket was bad what gasket do i need ...?

i was told the stock intake gasket will not work and the one's that where on it dont look like the stock one

anyone know what the part # is what i need..

thanks

thomas

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yes the stock gaskets will work just fine. Go & getcha a Fel-Pro intake gasket for the 351M/400 (dimensionally they're the same engine. The 351 has a 3.5" stroke & the 400 has a 4" stroke) and you'll be fine. Remember to put a lil' glob of silicone at each corner where the front/rear rubber pieces meet the side gaskets.

Fel-Pro #1240

http://felpro.carshopinc.com/product_info....s_id/22186/1240

Last edited by a moderator:

gibs0n06

Reaction score
ok the rubber piece dont use it everytime i did it got pushed out for some reason to cause me a big oil leak so i just ran a 1/4 inch bead of silicone on the front and back and its been sealed tight ever since.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yeah, well that can be a double edged-sword. I've been there, done that & know what you're talking about. BUT if you ***** up the bead you can wind up with anything from a minor to huge vacuum leak that's impossible to fix w/o yanking the entire assembly a second time (something that guys who *hate* to sink a distributor cringe from) and I'm just not sure it's worth it. The rubber piece CAN get sucked in or pushed out if you don't set it correctly but 9-times-out-of-10 it works just fine. When it *does* fail it's usualy because somebody made a mistake when installing it, the gasket system ITSELF works just great and factory mechanics have been using this style of gasket for *decades*. The rubber end-pieces have small rubber "pins" that stick down from the bottom half, these will line up with the small holes in that section of the block gasket surface. Run a *small* smear of silicone on the surface of the block to help secure the bottom half & be sure you get the pins into the holes & then use your finger to smear a thin layer of silicone across the top of the rubber piece to help secure it to the intake. Make sure you put a small blob of silicone at each of the 4 corners where the regular gasket meets the rubber gasket (this part is really important, so be sure to double ck) IF you TAKE YOUR TIME and do this right you wind up with a seal that will last 10-20 yrs. After trying the "thick bead of silicone" method a few times (and really, I have, I've tried it 5 or 6 times) I much prefer to take a few minutes and do a good job with the factory gasket set. I went this routa after having a professional race shop assemble a 460 for me this way. I got the truck back, drove it for two weeks & then took it from Mass down to New Jersey for 22wks of Dive School, got down there & realized my oil was reading 2-3 qts HIGH and it was looking like chocolate milk. The big-gob or silicone gasket had failed and I was leaking anti-freezen directly into the crankcase. Had to pull the manifold, clean everything up and reinstall a set of *proper* gaskets 600 miles from home using the tools I'd carried with me. NOT something I'd like to do a second time and ever since I've taken the time & had the patience to properly install the correct factory gaskets.

Without a doubt all sorts of people will have their own ideas on this based upon their own individual experiences. Read & evaluate them all & then make an informed choice of your own.

Also, make sure to reinstall the valley pan. Some guys leave this out for some strange reason. Reinstall the damn thing, having "extra" parts left over after rebuilding something is NOT a mark of genius. I absolutely guarantee that you (or someone else) DID NOT re-engineer something like this on the fly and suddenly improve it. Reinstall *everything*

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Ya know when I read something I usually dont forget it and I have installed an aluminum intake on every motor Ive rebuilt and I DO NOT use the end seals that come with the kit and there is a reason for it . They will not allow the intake to seat and designed . The trick is to make sure the sealing surfaces on the ends are VERY clean maybe even scuff them up with scotch brite then be generous with the red goo. I sometimes will put a section of threaded rod in the corner bolts to help guild the intake down straight . As to the reinstall all parts we arent capable of redesigning things any better I call BS on that . If any of us are tinkering with our engines or our trucks its because were trying to make them better than they came from the factory if you think the factory takes the time to make sure everything is to perfection your out of your mind . I work at an automotive factory and Ill tell you what comes first is the almighty dollar not the highest quality or the very best way to send a product out and this goes for all of the big 3 . FORDPLAY here is a link to the CORRECT way to install an edelbrock intake directions STRAIGHT from edelbrock not someone that has seemingly decided to be the definative source on everything that rolls on wheels . And BroncoBill before you reply to this as I know you will go to the link and read page 5 number 5 sometimes some people get on my nerves a bit :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mi...ke_Manifold.pdf

Broncobill78

Reaction score
. I work at an automotive factory ................ not someone that has seemingly decided to be the definative source on everything that rolls on wheels . And BroncoBill before you reply to this as I know you will go to the link and read page 5 number 5 sometimes some people get on my nerves a bit :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mi...ke_Manifold.pdf
In the interest of domestic Tranquility the majority of these comments have been retracted.

Respect is earned, it isn't automatically assigned to you when somebody posts your position in red letters. If you have something to say then strap on a pair and speak to me directly instead of taking public swipes. I'm not a difficult guy to find.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Bill my moderator status has nothing to do with my replies to you . Im just pointing out that your passing along bad information to someone here that was asking for help . I do not know it all but I make sure what I do pass on is correct and everyone is entitled to thier opinion . And your right respect is earned and you at this point have none of mine . I have helped alot of people here and alot of people here have helped me . My credibility is not at question here there was a question asked and I provided the correct answer I did not choose to present my personal opionion as the only option there is just offered the facts and I dont recall telling you to shove anything what behavior is that . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Public comments retracted after more careful thought. some issues are best dealt with privately. My apologies to the group and the thread owner for the unintentional blowby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23