shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airborne30g

Reaction score
I am new to the Bronco scene, I have an 89, the shocks on the rear are definitelt the original, i want to replace them with a good pair, it look like you just undo the top and bottom built and it pulls out, how do you replace them, what is a good shock to put back ???????

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, I'm not a shock manufacturer expert, but I'd say any good heavy duty brand would do. I'm sure others on the forum will have their favorites and will chime in on that.

As far as removing and replacing shocks, you are right on the bolts. Here is the proceedure:

1. Raise the vehicle frame taking the weight off the wheel.

2. Remove the lower attaching nut and bolt and swing the lower end free.

3. Remove the attaching nut from the upper mounting stud and removed the shock absorber.

4. Position the replacement shock absorber with rubber bushing and steel washers on upper mounting bolt.

5. Swing the lower end of the shock absorber into mounting bracket on the axle housing. Install the attaching washers, mounting bolt and self-locking nut. Tighten the nut to 40 - 64 ft. lb. You may have to play with the amount of lift on the frame to get the axle bolt in.

6. Install the self-locking nut on the upper mounting bolt and tighten to 40 - 65 ft. lb.

NOTE: The new shock comes with a wire tied between the two ends. DO NOT cut it untill the bolts have been installed.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, it's fairly simple to change shocks. You don't have to remove the wheels or lift the axle or frame up, but a jack is useful if you need to push the axle up enough to get the lower bolt in place. It definitely helps to keep the wire tied on the shock until it's in place, otherwise you will have to physically push the shock up or lower the axle.

I would recommend a good offroad shock like the ProComp ES3000 or ES9000, which will run about $30-$35 each. They will last longer and perform better than the cheaper Monroes or "plain jane" auto parts store shocks. I had ES9000's on my Bronco before the lift. Rancho, Skyjacker and Bilstein also make good shocks, but you will pay more for the adjustable models like the Rancho RS9000X.

I would also change out the front shocks, as you may be able to get a better deal per shock by buying 4 from places like 4WheelParts or other online sites. This will also help with the ride control, as a bad shock can affect stopping in a straight line. IF you have the quad shocks up front, be sure to get the right part numbers for each shock, as they are different length.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ahy ya, Justshootme84, ya don't have to lift the frame but it makes the job lot easier by taking the pressure off the shock :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . I suppose that after he gets familiar with doing it he will find his own method :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Reaction score
True, true. I have found that whenever replacing shocks, they are so worn out that they have no pressure on them, as all the weight is now on the springs. A good shock should extend all the way out when free of it's mounts, so that's why you unhook the bottom bolt first and allow the shock to extend downward. This then takes any pressure off of the top mount. IF you feel like there is too much pressure on the bottom bolt to take it out, you will need to raise the frame up enough like Seabronc stated. Seeing how the old shocks appear to be stock or original units, they may not move at all when removed. You might even see a 1/2"-1" height gain from the new shocks, as the ride returns to what it should be with good shocks. I saw that with the ProComps when I installed them. The old shocks were 2-yr old Monroe Magnums. All 6 were busted.

As a sidebar, most shocks you buy will have a wire holding them compressed to make it easier to install. The only shock I've seen without a wire is the Rancho RS9000X. In it's free status, it doesn't move. Try to push or pull on it, and you see the amount of resistance it has at each setting. I have a set of these on my 98 Z-71. By far the best-riding shock I've ever had, and worth the $75/each price tag.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Based on your recommendation, Justshootme84, I may try a pair of them RS9000X's next shock change. Mine are getting old. Sounds like a Spring kickoff project, so to speak and to think I almost baught Monroe HDs :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . By adjustable, is that by air with a under the hood mounted control?

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I don't have the in-cab, airline adjustment option, I just crawl under the truck and turn the **** on each shock. Rancho had a sale last Summer where you got the auto-adjustment control free with a set of 4 RS9000X's, but I think it's expired now. They have had a "buy 3 get one free" deal every Spring for the past 3-4 years, so I would wait for that to come around. I get a catalog from Summit Racing every month or so, and I'll post up any new sale when it comes up. I paid $210 for the four shocks about two years ago when the sale was ongoing, so it took some of the "bite" out of the cost.

The original owner of my Bronco always used the yellow Monroe's and the ride was O.K. You still had the "porpoising effect" where the Bronco would rock you around the cab sometimes. He just had to change them out every few years, cause they are JUNK!!!

I am very ******* shocks, and have broken every one on previous rigs except for one brand. Rancho. I have used RS5000's for nearly 20 years on various trucks and SUV's and believe that they are the best shock for daily driving. I would have them on the Bronco now, but could not get them for a 6" lift. (The Skyjacker Hydros are comparable).

The RS5000's are also being phased out in lieu of the RSX and RS9000X models. I have the RSX shocks on my 85 K-10, no lift. They are softer than the RS5000's, so I do not like them. I have the RS9000X's set on "7", which is just shy of the firmest setting of "9". This is about equal to the old RS5000's, but I can turn them down if someone complains about the ride. It doesn't take long to go back to "7", as the ride is worse at "3" due to having the torsion bars cranked up with Ford t-bar keys. BTW, I have trashed every one of the factory $1 Bilstein shocks on 3 previous Z-71's within 40K miles. JUNK!!!

Justshootme84

Reaction score
That's a good price for the ES3000's, about $34/each with boot and a free steering damper.

I checked my latest catalog from Summit Racing Equipment, and it shows the "buy 3 get 1 free" deal for Rancho RSX or RS9000X shocks. Good until April 30, 2005. I could not get it to show on their website, so you might just call them and ask. Toll free # 1-800-230-3030. I've bought alot of stuff from Summit, great prices and service. The RS9000X is listed at $85.95/each. $-)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK