why am I getting these codes and what to fix/ replace.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krafty

Reaction score
Okay so ever since i put this f 150 on the road in September I've been getting my check engine light flashing on randomly, but now that I have double checked my emissions hoses im getting them more frequently, so I got off work early today and when I got home with the light on I decided to grab some speaker wire and check these codes.

im sure there are parts of the test that I missed, such as the dynamic part, and I know I missed at least one code near the start of when I started counting, so here are the results im 75% sure I counted correctly.

52 Power steering pressure switch circuit is open or not changing

77 dynamic test not performed due to no input from driver.---obviously this is my fault.

33 EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor or Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) sensor indicates EGR valve is not opening.

or, EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor or Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) sensor indicates EGR valve not seated (closed) properly.

41 Exhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor: voltage signal always “lean” (low value) – does not switch.

51 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor – signal voltage is too high.

okay for 52 I know that my powersteering box has a leak and has gotten pretty low so no surprise there.

for 33 ... now when I was looking at my emissions hoses, there is a large hose with a metal fitting on it that sits on a metal line that connects to the manifolds somewhere. since I put it on the road that metal fitting was not sitting on that hose, I plopped it on and the truck quieted down, and ran a fair bit better, (also after seafoam) now i've been trying to find this out cause all of my engines that i've been running previously have been stripped of emissions equipment, that metal "fitting" is that my EGR valve? and is it supposed to be secured to something so it doesn't move? if I floor the engine you hear a small whistle and then the engine runs louder because the metal " fitting" gets pushed off. that may also have caused this code.

and for 51, my temp gauge has never read right, it sits at just barley over the low part of the normal range, and when it did eventually reach the middle of the gauge, my truck overheated.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
in + to Steve's info;

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Overview, Testing, etc.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=28

Also if that DTC 51 came via the KOER portion;

"The engine temperature must be greater than 50�F (10�C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test

and greater than 180�F (82�C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. To accomplish this, the engine should be at normal operating temperature."

by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

DTC 51 - ECT sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum of 4.6 volts; Open circuit in harness Sensor signal short to power Damaged PCM - no way!...lol..let's not get into this! Improper harness connection Damaged sensor Remove the ECT sensor, If you see some rust in it clean it by sanding the surface using a fine grit sandpaper, Also check the connector and wiring. Reinstall and check for codes, if some are present change the unit.

Source: by miesk5 (Al M) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

------

EGR not opening

Clogged or bad EGR, bad EVP/PFE sensor, and even a sluggish O2 can set this.

EVP Operation & Testing, Ford

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=35

Operation & Testing, Ford http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt19.pdf

Source: by Tomco Inc. tomco-inc.com

-------

O2 low (lean)

Vacuum leak, EGR stuck open, bad MAP sensor, bad O2, clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump

KOEO

EGO failure

EGO is bad, not connected, or missing.

KOER

EGO indicates right bank lean

EGO is going bad, missing, or fuel pressure regulator is set too low.

---------

52 Power steering pressure switch circuit is open or not changing

Suspect PSPS, harness

Power Steering Pressure Switch (5.0L Without E4OD Only); The Power Steering Pressure Switch signals the EEC Module when power steering pressure exceeds 350 psi

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
sweet thanks for the info and the tips, im broke as **** and don't even have enough money to keep paying rent so me and the finance are moving to the in-laws for a few months, it will be ****, but maybe can save up enough money to buy a new multimeter since I broke my last one.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
No help here.. but my check engine light would randomly flash at me too lol. Then one day it just stopped..hasn't flashed once in nearly a year!

Sucks about the in-laws..I just spent a week at my semi in-laws (not engaged, yet) after loosing my job two days before thanksgiving. Packed everything up, and starting new life in Seattle, hopefully :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I get everything unpacked, and you still don't have a mulimeter, I'll give ya my spare. I have 3-4 in my tool case - Father is an electrical/fiber optic nut

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23