White Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggnat79

Reaction score
I have white smoke coming from behind the block of my 1990 302. I cant tell for sure where the actual source of the smoke is but its definitely behind the block and it smells like burning oil. Any suggestions as to what would be causing this?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
A coolant or oil leak that gets onto your headers or exhaust manifolds will smoke a good bit. Check the valve covers, intake manifold gasket, freeze plugs, etc. with a mirror and flashlight and you should find it.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Theres a tube conecting the heads together in the back of the motor . It is for emissions . The air pump line runs back to this tube . With the age of the truck the tube may have rotted off or broke and this would allow exhaust from the motor to escape out this tube . If motor has alot of miles on it could explain the oil smell or the heat from the exhaust leaking out the tube may be heating old oil around the valve covers and intake . Just something to check :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Gunner

Reaction score
yeah i am guessing an exhaust leak myself. you said it was whit smoke if it was oil burning then the smoke would be dark even black. but white smoke is usually exhaust.

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
Well White smoke is Normaly Coolent Burning if you have while smoke coming from behind your motor look for a head gasket Prob, Are you loosing any coolent? or notice any oil film in your coolent?

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
White smoke from the back of the motor is probabily blow-by. this worsens with age. i had it terrible before i got my engine rebuilt. The hoses pump it back through the engine. it it is too bad, it will smuther the engine but thats with cracked rings on several clinders. the emissions hoses do go bad so replace them. White smoke coming form the coolant is also known as steam. Smoke or steam is the question. does it dissapear or stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

biggnat79

Reaction score
When I got underneath and did a little exploring from different angles I saw oil leaking from the rear of the passenger side valve cover. I pulled the intake manifold off and and the valve cover and replaced the gasket. Had to tap a couple of the bolt holes which ******* but finally got it back together. The pipe that leads from the lower intake manifold to what I believe is the EGR sensor was rusted through so I replaced it and several hoses that were worn. I just finished putting it together about an hour ago, and its too dark to see if it is still smoking or not. I dont smell it anymore though. One day I will have a garage, and it will be filled with tools, and there will be lots of lights, so I can work whenever I want. One day...

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
A coolant or oil leak that gets onto your headers or exhaust manifolds will smoke a good bit. Check the valve covers, intake manifold gasket, freeze plugs, etc. with a mirror and flashlight and you should find it.
I knew you would find it!!! You need to buy a trouble lamp!!!

89 bronco

Reaction score
white smoke is usually tranny oil keep an eye on tranny fluid level where the leak is you'll have to keep looking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23