What's Up Bronco Lovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayjs

Reaction score
Hey guys i've got an '80 Bronco XLT w/ a 302 and I'm gonna upgrade to either a 460 or 400. The 460 is complete and the 400 is a crate longblock that I got thinking it was a 460 (I f'd up!). Which do you think would be the best choice based upon swap ease and performance? I know the 460 will require motor mount adapters, but I dont know if the 400 is the same as the small block regarding the engine mounts, do you? Anyways, I finally registered although I've had my Bronco for almost 4 yrs now. I look forward to talking w/ all of you and thanks for any input you may have. John (Brookfield, Illinois)

IMGA0052.JPG

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello the 460 and the 400 use the same motor mounts and transmission so whichever one you decide to use youll have to do the same changes for both . If you go for the theres no replacement for displacement then id go with the 460 . The 351 m also uses the same motor mounts and transmission as these 2 . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I would definitely go with the 460cid, hands down!!! Howdy & Welcome!!!

Ktomek06

Reaction score
Welcome to BroncoZone! That bronc has a lot of potential :-B ...460!!!! Dont forget to go ******* this summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest_Indoz

Welcome to this friendly forum, go for the 460, I run an F100 with 460/C6, she's a powerhouse.

ddspanker

Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

Just curious, dose the added weight of the big block cause any suspenition problems? I would think that the extra horsepower would be an even swap for the loss of handling a lighter vechile. I say this because I thought of doing it myself.

Bob

Tucson, AZ.

302_Cubic_Inch_Engine.jpg

rlynch131

Reaction score
I would go for the 460!!

Like the other posts, the bell housing and mounts are the same between the 351M/400 ad the 360. I'm not sure how significant the weight difference is though. I don't think it would be significant enough to make a difference. (unless you were comming from a 300 that is)

IMHO the 460 is by far a better performer than the 400, you do have to seriously consider what this will do to your drive train though, as the added torque from a 460 will be painfull to your drive train if not medicated properly. (especially comming from a 302)

Just my 2 cents worth,

Ron

Phoenix, AZ

indoz

Reaction score
The 302 is 460lbs. and the 460 is 640lbs. The only problem I found when I bought my F100, was that the engine mount restricted the size of the oil filter(about 4 inches space), I opted to put a remote system in, but am still looking for a rotating oil filter adaptor, this would look less messy and be less prone to leaking hoses.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK