what size tires and lift do you guys have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1TalN8v

Reaction score
Sept_20_002.jpgHere's mine with a 8" suspension and 3" body with 38" TSLs

Last edited by a moderator:

johnski

Reaction score

Yardape

Reaction score
He only did the SAS a couple months ago, He has tons of pics before the swap.

No the driveshaft will not have to be lengthened

OP
OP
whitey

whitey

Reaction score
good. ok so after all this talk and advice from evryone here. and thanks you guys have been the utmost of help. my FINAL decision= 6" & 35's.

so since i'll be ordering the kit next weekend. and then need to save for tires. i'm already thining ahead to the next project on the list which would be be tranny and diffs. so even though i know i'll have more questions later on regarding this.

but, what exactly do i need for the diffs now i'll be upgrading to 35's? i know i need gears but, what would be the best size etc? is there a kit out there? and best places to purchase from?

i always like to stay ahead and see what i'm working towards- helps motivate me. i'm REALLY hoping that by this time next year all i'll need is paint and be done for awhile and enjoy her for abit before i find something new to redo on her.

Yardape

Reaction score
I'd recommend 4.56's for 35's. If you plan on going with anything bigger down the road then maybe 4.88's would be a better option.

OP
OP
whitey

whitey

Reaction score
thanks for the always fast reply yardape.

no i think when all is said and done 6" and 35's are it. i think i knew that before but impatience and money factors got the best of me and i went from considering a 2" to a 4". when in the back of my head i knew a 6" was really the way to go. good thing i don't have money to burn or i'd be on my 3rd lift kit already :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

anyhow anyone know the best place to get the gears or kits? this is one i'm sure i'll have to take to a shop and have the tranny and driveshaft work (ujoints etc) redone at the same time. so i want to compare prices on my parts vs. theirs so i can haggle a bit or bring my own parts in. i imagine with parts and labor it is going to be a pretty expensive restore/ job. but now i find myself in the expensive part of the project. i've done just about all the little things i can do i think. except for that rear bumper - i cannot remove those bolts so i'll probably have to take it up the road to the guy with a torch. other than that i've gone from a few semi inexpensive projects a month - to one expensive project every few months. but getting closer...

johnski

Reaction score
Speaking from first hand experience, 4.56's and 35's are the way to go. I've always had good luck from Randy's Ring and Pinion http://www.ring-pinion.com/ Very knowledgeable, reasonably priced, and always have what you need in stock. Get the complete install kits, as you're going to want to replace bearings, ect. while you're in there. Are you planning on adding a locker of limited slip in the front/back or both? I'd recommend dropping the extra coin on it, you'll be happy you did when you're on the trail. As for shop labor, expect no less than $300 per axle. Any less is a deal.

Yardape

Reaction score
I got a quote up here for 5500.00 for both axles installed. Detriot Lockers and 4.88 gears. $300 an axle, must be nice.

johnski

Reaction score
I got a quote up here for 5500.00 for both axles installed. Detriot Lockers and 4.88 gears. $300 an axle, must be nice.
Did that quote come with some Vaseline, too? 2 detroits and 2 sets of gears should be no more than $1500 alone. So we're talking $4K in labor!?!? That's fawked up.

Yardape

Reaction score
Did that quote come with some Vaseline, too? 2 detroits and 2 sets of gears should be no more than $1500 alone. So we're talking $4K in labor!?!? That's fawked up.
Thats Canadian. I guess I should have included that. I Figure their adding about 2000 for labour.

johnski

Reaction score
Thats Canadian. I guess I should have included that. I Figure their adding about 2000 for labour.
Still way too much. There's a reputable 4x4 shop right by me that's currently charging $300 per axle for gear/locker installation.

OP
OP
whitey

whitey

Reaction score
yeah i'm figuring to pay out some real dough now. i still want the tranny rebuilt too... i still have to get the tires and then do the lift still and alignment. but, *** it's my hobby i'll have something to show for it.

OP
OP
whitey

whitey

Reaction score
ok another question. i'm inside a week of ordering the kit. regarding gears:

excuse my ignorance but, will the 4.56's fit into my stock equipment? again i still have to order the kit and then get tires. but, i like to game plan and stay a step ahead to research the next project on my list.

thanks for all the help bros.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23