very low pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRONCOGRL911

Reaction score
For the longest time the brake pedal has been low on my 89 bronco,it stopped ok so last summer I replaced the calipers, hoses, wheel cylinders(they were shot), and even one brake line (it looked like an onion ring) and we bled the heck out of them and still had a low spongy pedal so we used it for awhile like that and it started getting worse so I decided to replace the master cylinder and bled the heck out of it and still have a low almost non existent pedal.I have a clean steady flow of fluid out of the bleeders.I noticed that the rear wheel ABS modulator has a bleeder ***** on it so I was wondering if air could be trapped in it? Also my ABS light stays on constantly now.I started out using a pneumatic bleeder that sucks the fluid out and only got little trickles of fluid.I always start from the farthest bleeder and work my way up on rear wheel drive vehicles, but no luck with this one.If anyone has any ideas let me know.Thanks.

shift1313

Reaction score
You definitely have to bleed the abs module. On my 89 f150 i bleed the rear passenger wheel, rear driver wheel, abs block(frame mounted under the driver area if i remember right), then front passenger, then front driver wheel.

hope that helps.

OP
OP
BRONCOGRL911

BRONCOGRL911

Reaction score
You definitely have to bleed the abs module. On my 89 f150 i bleed the rear passenger wheel, rear driver wheel, abs block(frame mounted under the driver area if i remember right), then front passenger, then front driver wheel.

hope that helps.

thank you for the info i must have alot of traped air because i did exactly what you just said and it is still is the same the abs light wont turn off. maybe i will have it power bleed instead of doing it manually.

thank you very much

shift1313

Reaction score
It takes a lot of bleeding! :blink: I hate to say it but manually i usually repeat the process twice. Making sure your brake drums in the back are adjusted properly makes a difference also. After replacing the brake cylinders, if they arent adjusted you will have a low pedal for a long time until the auto adjusters take up the slack.

good luck with it!

Just as a side note. A bad check valve and vac line to the brake booster will give you bad brake feel. Also if the diaphragm or the seal thats on the brake rod from your pedal, if they leak you will get really bad brake pedal. Just something to look into. I actually had a problem one winter, my windshield was leaking and it managed to run down the firewall, onto the brake rod and onto the felt disc on the brake rod. Over night it froze and the first time i went to stop i didnt have any brakes because the seal on the booster was lost! Not a good feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23