ignition problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSM_Bronco

Reaction score
well...i have an 89 eddi bauer edition and i have resorted to jumping it at the solenoid. the key just turns right around. i replaced the key and it still does nothin. also replaced the starter switch on the lower half of the steering wheel column. won't do a thing. i even manually moved the starter switch, and still.....nothing. its weird cuz there's a push rod thing that goes down the column and i have to push it in order to turn on the power to jump it. so i know the switch is working. its something alot more complicated i fear. im a PFC in the US army and have tons of guys watching me jump my bronco each day. good ol screwdriver

if anybody can help me out that would be awsome. thanx

Roadkill

Reaction score
Not trying to bust your chops, but you don't mention if you have checked out the solenoid itself. Are you getting power at the small connector (on the solenoid) when you turn the key? If you have power at to that point, it's the solenoid itself. Solenoids go bad all the time, they are cheap (around $10), and easy to change.

Edit:

By the way, welcome to BroncoZone! >

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Not sure I really understood what you said about the key turning around. When you turn the key, does the push rod move? If not, you need to replace the link between the cylinder and the push rod. If it does move, have you checked the position adjustment of the ignition switch on the top of the steering column? If the ignition switch is out of position It may not make contact in the start position. If all that is good, did you check for 12V at the start solinoid, (the small wire connected to the small post on it). If no 12V there, check the Neutral safety switch (automatic transmission), clutch safety switch (standard transmission). also what Roadkill said about the solinoid itself.

Good luck,

:)>-

bobstrat

Reaction score
do you mean the key just rotates 360 degrees when you try starting it in that fashion?

you know you can rig up a push button inside so you dont have to use the screwdriver in front of the guys.

OP
OP
CSM_Bronco

CSM_Bronco

Reaction score
ok...the push rod barely moves. and then the key snaps right past it. like i said b4, i have tried to manually move it, push it down to the end of the starter switch and it does nothing. all i get out of it is turning on the power to the bronco. thats actually part of how i have to start it. cuz the key don't turn it enough. i have to push the rod down myself to turn the power on. then jump it at the solenoid. i checked the solenoid, and there is no power at the small ****. now if its the neutral safety switch....where is it? and what do i have to do to replace it? it is an automatic.

Seabronc

Reaction score
ok...the push rod barely moves. and then the key snaps right past it. like i said b4, i have tried to manually move it, push it down to the end of the starter switch and it does nothing. all i get out of it is turning on the power to the bronco. thats actually part of how i have to start it. cuz the key don't turn it enough. i have to push the rod down myself to turn the power on. then jump it at the solenoid. i checked the solenoid, and there is no power at the small ****. now if its the neutral safety switch....where is it? and what do i have to do to replace it? it is an automatic.

It sounds like You have more than one problem, but you are right back to what I told you to check in the first place. From what you said about the push rod, it is probably a bad link between the key cylinder and the push rod. Pushing the rod down all the way should put 12V on the red with blue stripe wire at the start solinoid unless the neutral safety switch is bad or miss-adjusted (automatic transmission) or the clutch safety switch (standard shift), or the ignition switch on the steering column is out of position. Get a meter and have someone push the rod down while you check the voltage at the small terminal on the start solinoid (the one with the red with blue stripe wire).

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK