Transmission Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
Awhile after buying my bronco and rebuilding the c6, I started to realize that an overdrive is very nice to have when on the freeway. I have looked into upgrading to a transmission with an overdrive and found the AOD. Before i go out and buy one, i just wanted to make sure that it could bolt up to my 351M, the AOD was made in the 80's but the M block was also still used into the 80's (at least, i think it was). Does anyone know if an AOD will bolt up to my 78 351M? and if so, are there any major drawbacks or problems that i might run into? thanks.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The bolt pattern on the bellhousing for the AOD is a smallblock pattern, so it won't fit on the 351M. You might find an adapter plate from someone like Novak or Advanced Adapters. Another OD tranny that does have the right pattern is the E40D, althoughh the shift points on that one are computer-controlled and would need an ECM.

Broncoholic

Broncoholic
Reaction score
If you are going to do wheeling and towing, stay away from E4OD.

I have had enough experience to know this for a fact, I've had three that fried, two of them had even been rebuilt.

On another subject I love your Bronco, Reminds me of my first 78.

Let me know if you ever want to sell.

IMG_1940.JPG

79rag

Reaction score
if you dont mind driving a manual go with the 5 speed with od ZF transmission just got to make sum changes to the linkage and i think the transmission crossmember will bolt up to the m blocks

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23