Transmission Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJeff

fLoWmAsTeRs=RuMbLe
Reaction score
I have an 88, EFI with a an automatic C6 transmission. This transmission has caused problems from day one. It has trouble going in and out of gear and it likes to slip in between shifts. I have dropped the pan, changed the filter, and replaced the vacuum modulator. This did help me to actually shift without having to pump the gas several times, but i still cannot get it to properly shift into 3rd gear. It runs at about 55 in second gear at about 3500 RPM's. The torque converter is not bad either. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I agree, the fluid can tell you if the tranny is slipping from worn clutches, or may just be out of adjustment. IF the fluid is dark brown and/or has a burnt odor, it's likely due to slipping and the heat generated. Good news is that the C6 is quite inexpensive to rebuild compared to other models. I recently bought a rebuilt one for $300, JSM84

keeprollling

Reaction score
the abs speed sensor was causing me to beleive it was the tranny, it would shift down and accelerate hard back into gear.

OP
OP
BroncoJeff

BroncoJeff

fLoWmAsTeRs=RuMbLe
Reaction score
As far as my transmission is, it is a 3 speed, I want to make it a four speed. I hope it will give me more top end and better gas mileage. Should I go new or is a reconditioned one fine??

89Bronco58

Reaction score
a rebuilt one is fine, maily its just a used case or housing or the transmission itself, all the internals are brand new, some ppl just prefer brand new ones but me personally would trust a rebuilt one anyway, also the c6 u have now, does it have alot of miles on it?? it could just be getting worn from many miles which is why its slipping and such

OP
OP
BroncoJeff

BroncoJeff

fLoWmAsTeRs=RuMbLe
Reaction score
a rebuilt one is fine, maily its just a used case or housing or the transmission itself, all the internals are brand new, some ppl just prefer brand new ones but me personally would trust a rebuilt one anyway, also the c6 u have now, does it have alot of miles on it?? it could just be getting worn from many miles which is why its slipping and such
yes its got a "good bit" of miles on it. ill check around because my plan was to just go with a rebuilt 4 speed anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23