Transmission cooler adapter thread size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
Hello folks, 

I need verification of the female and male thread size for the adapter that screws into the transmission cooler built into the radiator.  The adapter is what the metal line from the trans to the radiator connects to as well as the metal line that runs from the radiator to the auxillary cooler mounted in front of the radiator.  The adapter appears to be a 5/16 male inverted flare  x 5/16 female inverted flare, but I can't confirm this.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
B-Co Kid

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
5.8L; C6; Heavy duty radiator.

found out the adapter is 1/4 NPT x 5/16 inverted flare.  However, using the OEM adapter with aftermarket hardline purchased from the auto parts store didn’t work; the OEM adapter is deep, and the thread length on 5/16 inverted flare tube nut is not long enough to fully seat in the adapter.  In any case, I ordered an aftermarket adapter that is not as deep so hopefully that solves it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo B,

Ok, if it doesn't work out find a Local NAPA store tgat has someone who can pull out fittingd cross reference books.   You shoukd need to take in adapter, etc.

Our NAPA store good guy looked up many parts for our John Deere RX mower ranging from OEM air filter source to switches.