Transmission and Engine Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoLoverTNT

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to know if it's possible to take out an automatic transmission and replace it with a manual? Will I need a lot of conversion parts for the engine as well or should I put it off until I can put a new engine and trans in? Eventually I will need a new engine. I have a 1992 Bronco with the 5.8L 351 engine. I just don't want to replace it and then find out I can't convert to a manual trans. Just to fore warn anyone replying; I only have basic knowledge of auto's. I usually learn as I go.

ocalabronco

Reaction score
you can swap out an auto tranny for a manual. infact, its a swap im looking to do very soon. the E40D, which you should have too, isnt a bad tranny but for the wheeling i do, it takes a bad beating and doesnt like it too much. basically if you get a tranny with mechanical clutch engagement, you'll have to get the clutch fork and all the linkage that goes with it. if its hydraulic engagement (like say ZF 5 spd), you need the master and ***** cylinder to engage the clutch. i'm still learning about this as i go too. but im tired of mucking with an electronic auto

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some swaps for you:

M5OD Swap for 92-96 w/parts list (ZF Swaps are listed below) by Havack (Ben) at broncodata.com

ZF Swap Parts List (M5OD Swap is shown above) by Franklin at FSB Forums fullsizebronco.com

ZF Swap, pics in a 95 (M5OD Swap is shown above) by Superjet (Pile) at SuperFord.org

ZF Swap, pics in a 90 (M5OD Swap is shown above) by My90Bronco at SuperFord.org

ZF Swap, pics, (M5OD Swap is shown above) from a 96 F350 in a 95 by Pepper (Big Pig) at SuperFord.org

My Webpage

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to know if it's possible to take out an automatic transmission and replace it with a manual?  Will I need a lot of conversion parts for the engine as well or should I put it off until I can put a new engine and trans in?  Eventually I will need a new engine.  I have a 1992 Bronco with the 5.8L 351 engine.  I just don't want to replace it and then find out I can't convert to a manual trans.  Just to fore warn anyone replying; I  only have basic knowledge of auto's.  I usually learn as I go.

28837[/snapback]

madmax

Reaction score
sorry to be bringing up an old thread but does anybody know if the newer zf 6 speed trans will bolt up to a 351W? Or will i have to cut off the built in bellhousing and weld on something that will fit?

alternatley is it possible to re gear the zf5 so that 1st is no longer a creeper? say instead of 5.72 2.94 1.61 1 0.76 change first to 3.5 or so and then go with a steeper rear gear like a 3.55 instead of a 4.10

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK