Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cottonland

cottonland
Reaction score
I have an '82 Full size Bronce with a 351 and C4 transmission. I put it in 4WD and it worked fine, other than the whine. When I put in in 4WD again it would not engage. I then realized that the shifter would flop around. After getting under the vehicles I noticed that the shifter had broken away from the transfer case. The linkage is still attached, but where the shifter is bolted to the case is broken. Looks like it had been broken for a while cause someone had try to silicone it together. But now it is for sure broke.

I believe that the transfer case is aluminum which leads me to believe that it is a 208. My mechanic is pulling it right now and is going to let me know what type it is. My question is if I have to replace the case, what would be the best type to replace it with? Also, what could be the cause of the "whine" when it is in 4WD. So far I have replaced the engine, transmission, all u-joints, refurbished the interior, new power steering pump and starter/solenoid. Based on what I have already replaced, is the transfer case not my last "major" thing that could go wrong?

Thanks for any help or suggestions someone may provide. This is by far the best board I have seen based on all of the help and knowledge provided.

Yardape

Reaction score
The best would be an Atlas. But the price is obscene, If you dont care you can check them out @ www.advanceadapters.com (hey you asked for the best) The next best, if you can find one would be a NP205. I am unsure of all the years they came in but I do know they are quite popular in the '79 F-series and Broncos. Good luck :)>-

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Any of the Ford truck 4WD transfer cases should bolt up to your C4 or C6 transmission, but each one has a specific shift linkage set-up. THe chain-driven NP208 is fairly reliable, and would be the easiest replacement. I've had good luck with these, other than breaking the aluminum case. The "whine" and trouble shifting lead me to suspect an internal problem, but it's not expensive to overhaul this model. Bronco Graveyard or ebay lists parts for the NP208. THe NP205 gear-driven t-case is cast iron, and I consider it more "bullet-proof" than many other Ford t-cases. These were used on 70's models trucks and 78.79 Bronco's. They have a special transmission adapter/tailhousing that is also cast iron and slotted for the two shifter rails, plus you'll want to add a new crossmember to support the extra weight. The NP205 weighs aroung 160+ pounds vs. 75 lbs. for the NP208. Offroad Design has a double kit for the NP205 that uses part of a NP203 to get ultra-low gearing for rockcrawling. (THe Np203 is a full-time t-case that preceeded the NP205, so this model is not considered a good swap.) My 84 Bronco had the original NP208 with over 200K miles on it, but I am swapping to the NP205 to mate with my C-6 and 460 from the 88 F-350 truck. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

cottonland

cottonland
Reaction score
Whew, nothing wrong with transfer case. The spacer between the transmission and transfer case is what has broken which is where the shift lever mounts. Only about $150 to replace. The transfer case is a 208 this was verified and it only has about 90,000 miles on it, so I think it should be fine. Will probably have it rebuilt or overhauled after hunitng season.

Thanks for the help and information. :D/

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Good to hear it's not the t-case. It might be a good idea to check the front hubs and wheel bearings, especially if they're the auto hubs. Might be a good time to convert to manuals, since the autos are prone to failure.

OP
OP
C

cottonland

cottonland
Reaction score
Good to hear it's not the t-case. It might be a good idea to check the front hubs and wheel bearings, especially if they're the auto hubs. Might be a good time to convert to manuals, since the autos are prone to failure.
Thanks...... They are manual hubs. Have a lot of "play" in the front end though. Need to try and figure out what that is.

Yardape

Reaction score
I've owned 2 Broncos and an F-250. The play in the front end is a common occurance. Bad bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link all contribute. But most of all the steering boxes are crap. Check all the above and replace accordingly, if excessive play is still there then you need to replace the steering box. Dont let anyone convince to adjust the nut on the steering box, that is bad news.

ocalabronco

Reaction score
play in the front end can be attributed to lots of things. best bet is to start out at the simplest part possible, like lifting up one tire at a time and checking for playin the bearings. then check for play in your tierod ends. those are easy and cheap to replace. and FYI, you have a C6 transmission, not a C4. C4's were used in the early model broncos (smaller body) and cars. unless it was swapped in, which would be kinda dumb

OP
OP
C

cottonland

cottonland
Reaction score
play in the front end can be attributed to lots of things. best bet is to start out at the simplest part possible, like lifting up one tire at a time and checking for playin the bearings. then check for play in your tierod ends. those are easy and cheap to replace. and FYI, you have a C6 transmission, not a C4. C4's were used in the early model broncos (smaller body) and cars. unless it was swapped in, which would be kinda dumb
Thanks..... When I took it last year for the transmission, was told it was a C4, didn't think that was correct. How can I tell exactly? Is there a number on it or stamp?

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Easiest wat to ID the C6 is look at the oil pan. It will be rectangular, with a notch in one corner, and has 17 bolts. I'm cleaning up the C6 from my 88 F350, and I haven't seen any ID tag or marks as of yet. IF someone knows, they;ll post up. JSM84

Yardape

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe its a C-4 in a 4x4 but just for laughs count the pan bolts. Thats the easiest way. C-4 has 11, C-6 Has 17. AOD has 14. Check it out, let us know.

OP
OP
C

cottonland

cottonland
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe its a C-4 in a 4x4 but just for laughs count the pan bolts. Thats the easiest way. C-4 has 11, C-6 Has 17. AOD has 14. Check it out, let us know.

It is a C-6. Verified that this weekend.

Thanks for everyones, help

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Im curious could you take a pic of your T Case and post it I have seen new process 203,s in the early 80,s trucks but most of them are mabe by Borg Warner cant remember the model right now 1345 maybe , Anyway if you take the pic from the back facing the T Case that would be good most of the borg warner models say borg warner on the back side with there symbol on it . There all aluminum too . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
C

cottonland

cottonland
Reaction score
Im curious could you take a pic of your T Case and post it I have seen new process 203,s in the early 80,s trucks but most of them are mabe by Borg Warner cant remember the model right now 1345 maybe , Anyway if you take the pic from the back facing the T Case that would be good most of the borg warner models say borg warner on the back side with there symbol on it . There all aluminum too . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Will take one tomorrow and post it. It is a New Process 208. Found another one that a friend had. Thinking about getting it for an extra and rebuilding it so when I tear this one up I will have a spare. What do you think?

OP
OP
C

cottonland

cottonland
Reaction score
100_0578.JPG

Im curious could you take a pic of your T Case and post it I have seen new process 203,s in the early 80,s trucks but most of them are mabe by Borg Warner cant remember the model right now 1345 maybe , Anyway if you take the pic from the back facing the T Case that would be good most of the borg warner models say borg warner on the back side with there symbol on it . There all aluminum too . :D
Here are the pictures of the transfer case. I tried to take a picture of the stamp but it can't be read. I also took a picture of the spacer that broke for anyone that might run into this again.

100_0578.JPG

100_0579.JPG

100_0580.JPG

swampthing

Reaction score
IIRC 80-86 broncos had NP208's in all of them. could be wrong but everyone i have talked to and every one i have seen had the 208

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj