TRANSFER CASE SNAPPED IN HALF?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieBauer351

Reaction score
My transfer case is snapped in half. DO I have to use a transfer case from a bronco to replace it? or can it be from a Ford pickup or something? And what year broncos can I get another transfer case from? And same for the transmission, I may as well replace it too because it has 280,000 miles on it now. I guess, this many miles, and off-roading just doesn't mix well. and does anyone have any idea why my transfer case would snap in half in the first place? Need help, please! I'll attach a photo of the transfer case

Viewer Discretion Is Advised
tongue.gif

DSCN0263.JPG

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Manual Shifter 1356 - Tranny Type

You'll need to see what tranny a pick-up or even another Bronco has due to shift linkage variations. For instance

Dastad (95 Bronco) wrote elsewhere; "Since I have both AOD linkage from the original donor F150 and the new E40D linkage from the latest F150 donor, I took a few photos for comparison on the two sets of linkage with an eye for how the AOD linkage could be modified to bolt up to the E40D transmission.

The AOD mounting plate and actuator arm are both different.

The E40D arm is longer. A new arm could easily be fabricated.

The AOD mounting plate could easily be made to fit the E40D transmission.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=831&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffullsizebronco.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D194989%26highlight%3D1356&v=1&libid=1308226163712&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F64065928%40N06%2Fsets%2F72157626967426994%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Ffullsizebronco.com%2Fforum%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D4109413&title=1356%20to%20E40D%20Shift%20Linkage%20-%20FSB%20Forums&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F64065928%40N06%2Fsets%2F72157626967426994%2F

=========

The Borg-Warner 13-56 manual shift transfer case (7A195) is a part-time three-piece transfer case. The case is magnesium, except for the F-350 with 137-inch wheelbase, chassis cab with E4OD transmission that has an aluminum front case half and an opening for a power takeoff (PTO). The unit is lubricated by a positive displacement oil pump that channels oil flow through drilled holes in the rear output shaft. The pump turns with the rear output shaft, and allows towing of the vehicle with transfer case in NEUTRAL position without disconnecting the rear driveshaft.

****** Depiction in 1356 Manual Shift Parts Break-Out Diagram w/nomenclature; Miesk5 Note, see #5 Extension (Rear Spline) Cap, Bearing (Rear Yoke/******) (Serviced As Part of 7085 Assembly) thru #8 -- ****** (Rear ******) (Serviced As Part of 7B214 Assembly); Steve labelled it as "Bronco Fixed Yoke"

The input shaft (7017), front output shaft, 4WD indicator switch, and shift lever are located on the front case half. The rear output shaft, output shaft bearing retainer (or slip-yoke type bearing retainer), and drain and fill plugs are located on the rear case half. Two types of bearing retainers are used: a rear fixed output circular ****** for the Bronco and a slip-yoke type For F series.

See the differences in this diagram; in upper right side

bw1356esof.jpg

by Ford via Steve83

&;

"...comparison of fixed yoke to ****** splines, etc. they appear to be the same in every dimensions. the nice thing is, you can find these in junkyards for cheap. just bring a 1 1/4 thin wall socket and pull a few. I went on half off day and got a rear driveshaft for cheap and had the local driveline shop cut it off and put it on my front shaft for a fairly cheap 1330 front cv shaft..."

flangeyokecomparo.jpg

by Damon H

Yokes & Flanges; "...think they didnt switch to the flanges till the 92 model switch on the broncos so any bronco in the 87-91 style should have the yokes on a 1356; miesk5 NOTE, Bronco, 89-96 BW1356 Electric shift - rear circular ****** & front fixed yoke; Manual shift - rear circular ****** & front fixed yoke

Source: by broodu

BW 1356 Transfer Case, Mechanical Shift

96bw1356manshift.gif

Item Part Number Description

1 7E440 4WD Indicator Switch

2 7B106 Shift Lever

3 7B214 Case Yoke

4 7061 Output Shaft

5 87675-S Fill Plug for PTO Use

(F-350 Only)

6 7017 Input Shaft

7 87675-S Fill/Drain Plug

The Bronco rear driveshaft is of the double Cardan type which incorporates two universal joints, a driveshaft centering socket yoke (4782), and a driveshaft center yoke (4784) at the transfer case end of each shaft. A single universal joint is used at the axle end of the driveshaft

BW_1356_1370.pdf

Broncos use the Double Cardan at Xfer case output;

Yokes & Flanges; "...think they didnt switch to the flanges till the 92 model switch on the broncos so any bronco in the 87-91 style should have the yokes on a 1356; miesk5 NOTE, Bronco, 89-96 BW1356 Electric shift - rear circular ****** & front fixed yoke; Manual shift - rear circular ****** & front fixed yoke

Attachments

• 96bw1356manshift.gif
    96bw1356manshift.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 2

oldschoolhd

Reaction score
I had an '83 wagoneer I broke the transfercase in half. I wasn't beating on it. The front drive shaft was alittle to long and when I compressed the front end it put a load on the front of the case and broke it clean in half. The jeep was a spring over lift and who ever biult it didn't accomidate for the shafte correctly.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Assuming your Bronc is stock, the pic tells me there was a tortional multidirectional fracture. It looks like the case cracked because there was torque applied greater than the case could accept.

Check all the mounts. Worn mounts could cause additional stress that could cause a crack, and over time a complete failure like you experianced.

OP
OP
E

EddieBauer351

Reaction score
Assuming your Bronc is stock, the pic tells me there was a tortional multidirectional fracture. It looks like the case cracked because there was torque applied greater than the case could accept.

Check all the mounts. Worn mounts could cause additional stress that could cause a crack, and over time a complete failure like you experianced.
Well, it has stock automatic locking hubs, but mine never worked. So I just installed new manual hubs because that's what the guy said to do at 4WheelParts. Could that be why?

OP
OP
E

EddieBauer351

Reaction score
I had an '83 wagoneer I broke the transfercase in half. I wasn't beating on it. The front drive shaft was alittle to long and when I compressed the front end it put a load on the front of the case and broke it clean in half. The jeep was a spring over lift and who ever biult it didn't accomidate for the shafte correctly.
Well mine's definitely all stock, it couldnt be because the front drive shaft is too long, right??

OP
OP
E

EddieBauer351

Reaction score
yo,

Manual Shifter 1356 - Tranny Type

You'll need to see what tranny a pick-up or even another Bronco has due to shift linkage variations. For instance

Dastad (95 Bronco) wrote elsewhere; "Since I have both AOD linkage from the original donor F150 and the new E40D linkage from the latest F150 donor, I took a few photos for comparison on the two sets of linkage with an eye for how the AOD linkage could be modified to bolt up to the E40D transmission.

The AOD mounting plate and actuator arm are both different.

The E40D arm is longer. A new arm could easily be fabricated.

The AOD mounting plate could easily be made to fit the E40D transmission.

http://api.viglink.c...626967426994%2F

=========

The Borg-Warner 13-56 manual shift transfer case (7A195) is a part-time three-piece transfer case. The case is magnesium, except for the F-350 with 137-inch wheelbase, chassis cab with E4OD transmission that has an aluminum front case half and an opening for a power takeoff (PTO). The unit is lubricated by a positive displacement oil pump that channels oil flow through drilled holes in the rear output shaft. The pump turns with the rear output shaft, and allows towing of the vehicle with transfer case in NEUTRAL position without disconnecting the rear driveshaft.

****** Depiction in 1356 Manual Shift Parts Break-Out Diagram w/nomenclature; Miesk5 Note, see #5 Extension (Rear Spline) Cap, Bearing (Rear Yoke/******) (Serviced As Part of 7085 Assembly) thru #8 -- ****** (Rear ******) (Serviced As Part of 7B214 Assembly); Steve labelled it as "Bronco Fixed Yoke"

The input shaft (7017), front output shaft, 4WD indicator switch, and shift lever are located on the front case half. The rear output shaft, output shaft bearing retainer (or slip-yoke type bearing retainer), and drain and fill plugs are located on the rear case half. Two types of bearing retainers are used: a rear fixed output circular ****** for the Bronco and a slip-yoke type For F series.

See the differences in this diagram; in upper right side

bw1356esof.jpg

by Ford via Steve83

&;

"...comparison of fixed yoke to ****** splines, etc. they appear to be the same in every dimensions. the nice thing is, you can find these in junkyards for cheap. just bring a 1 1/4 thin wall socket and pull a few. I went on half off day and got a rear driveshaft for cheap and had the local driveline shop cut it off and put it on my front shaft for a fairly cheap 1330 front cv shaft..."

flangeyokecomparo.jpg

by Damon H

BW 1356 Transfer Case, Mechanical Shift

View attachment 10900

Item Part Number Description

1 7E440 4WD Indicator Switch

2 7B106 Shift Lever

3 7B214 Case Yoke

4 7061 Output Shaft

5 87675-S Fill Plug for PTO Use

(F-350 Only)

6 7017 Input Shaft

7 87675-S Fill/Drain Plug

The Bronco rear driveshaft is of the double Cardan type which incorporates two universal joints, a driveshaft centering socket yoke (4782), and a driveshaft center yoke (4784) at the transfer case end of each shaft. A single universal joint is used at the axle end of the driveshaft

BW_1356_1370.pdf

Broncos use the Double Cardan at Xfer case output;

I did a lot of research, I found all of the trucks with the same transfer case and transmission as my bronco, and went to pull-a-part and got them. So I should be set now. Preciate all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke