Towing in OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Moving to TX. Going to top off the coolant before I head out.. however quick question.

In my new truck, it says unless on flat land, tow in 4th gear. Do not tow in OD. This will cause overheating in the tranny. Which it does.. unless you're on flater than flat land.. but given the motor, it loves to rev high..

Should I apply the same concept to the Bronco? It doesn't have all the fancy senors or guages like the new truck, nor the option to select any gear you want through the center console shifter. What's the best method, and best speed range? It be a 1,200lbs 5x8 U-Haul.

Captain D

Reaction score
Adam,

I have towing various boats and trailers for 16 years with my 95, 5.8L. I tow in overdrive all the time and I have transmission temp guage, I also have factory tow package. The only time I ever saw my trans temp go up some was towing a 5000lb+ boat in slow traffic stop and go. A 1200lb trailer will be easily towed. If the transmission starts hunting between high gear and lower gear just drop it down to lower gear. You will be fine.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Adam,

I have towing various boats and trailers for 16 years with my 95, 5.8L. I tow in overdrive all the time and I have transmission temp guage, I also have factory tow package. The only time I ever saw my trans temp go up some was towing a 5000lb+ boat in slow traffic stop and go. A 1200lb trailer will be easily towed. If the transmission starts hunting between high gear and lower gear just drop it down to lower gear. You will be fine.
That's what I did in gear hunting mode. But comming through WY a few years ago, I was doing 75mph and didn't seem to have any issues.. Then again at night it was only 10-20 degrees out.

Good to know though thanks! Just wish I had the power of the 5.8. My 5.0 is a wet dog now (327,8XX) and is slow empty!!

nelbur

Reaction score
The instructions for my '86 302 are quite clear. They say, do not tow in overdrive. It is true that the weight you mention is modest so one could argue that it would make no difference, but I would use drive.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
With my 96 5.0 beast,I pull my 3500# boat with no problem in OD.

Then again here in Fla, most of the land is flat. If your pulling in hilly terrain I would kick it down.

My Beast has the towing package and a tranny cooler.

Good Luck

Bebop Man

Reaction score
In 2006 I was pulling a 5x8 U-Haul trailer from PA to SD in a Bronco II (2.9L v6 / A4LD OD auto). Coming across the gently rolling hills of IA, I had it in OD for gas milage, and the trans exploded. Literally, there was a hole in the side of the case. About 5 mins before it exploded, it started rumbling and vibrating, and I dropped it down a gear to try to save it. Too late.

Now, how this compares to an AOD or E4OD, I'll leave to the others. But you can certainly royally hose up an auto trans by towing in OD.

bronco5.8

Reaction score
All I can say is I tow with the o/d off but wen I tow I usually am pushing my bronco to the limit if my brothers 2500 2wd Chevrolet will do it my bronco damn sure will try but wen I tow it is once or twice a year it's a 28ft travel trailer fully loaded with gear that weights in on the scale just over 8000 lbs but I push my truck hard oh and with the kcamper hooked up I get 5 MPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23