Torque Converter Unlocking By Right Turn signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike G

Reaction score
We'll I was heading to the city today to pick up some antique clocks I bought from a guy in IL. So I turned on my left turn signal to pass someone. After the pass I turned on my right turn signal and it unlocked the torque converter. I thought I was imagining it but every time I turned the signal on it would do it. The 4 way flashers also caused it to unlock. Only once during my trip did it not cause the converter to unlock. I tried every combination of lights, horn, cruse on and off. All of my lights are working correctly and the same brightness.

I know that the converter is unlocking. The RMP goes up just like when you are going down the highway and maintaining speed and pressing on the brake peddle will also cause the torque converter to unlock like it should when braking.

If anybody could suggest a starting point I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
No the cruse works just fine with the right blinker on. I'm going to pull the bulbs and check them along with the grounds first free moment I get. The truck also has 2 trailer wiring harnesses installed. I'll give them a once over also.

MFS? First off what is it and second if it was bad would it show if I pulled codes?

Thanks for the reply

Mike

OP
OP
Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
Now that I know what the MFS is no doubt it would not generate a code. First chance I get I'll pull the column apart and perform the troubleshooting you provided.

Thanks again

Mike

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

Well now, Comcast finally found and maybe someday will repair a submerged Cable Disrt Box here in da swamppy pinies!

So I was able to finally located this;

Multifunction Switch (MFS), Hazard & Brake Light Disengage E4OD Torque Converter Lockup Discussion in 92-96

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-lightnin...lockup-how.html

Will try to validate the ckts mentioned by the folks there soon.

Such as

circuit 383. red/white thru splice s236 then goes thru the boo switch to the pcm.

or thru the multifunc switch circuit 511 thru splice s240 to pin 2 of pcm

the boo circuit taps into the pcm on the same circuit as the flashers

If Pin2 is BOO, what I had in mind isn't such a great idea.

I always assumed the hazard circuit flashed the parking lights, but if it flashes the brake circuit instead, that could explain a lot. It could be a completely unintentional behavior

always thought it was odd, but my truck does unlock the converter with the flashers... Also does it with the right hand turn signal... IDK whats up with that wierdness... never been motivated enough to find it...

The reason thay do it is becouse the brake light and turnsignal is the same light and the same wire. So when you turn on the 4 ways the computer thinks you got your foot on the brakes and your stopping.

If it happen when you turn the right or left turnsignal on then you have A bad turnsignal swich or a wireing problem

OP
OP
Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
Great info Miesk. Will give it a go hopefully this weekend.

Mike

OP
OP
Mike G

Mike G

Reaction score
Well its been awhile since I've posted but wanted to follow up on this one. Well I got this sorted about a week after the last post. Another of those "boy do I feel stupid" moments. I thought that I checked all the lights but it turns out that one night my dad was behind me and said my L/H brake light was out. By now I was living with the torque converter unlocking with the R/H turn signal. And low and behold after I changed the L/H brake/turn signal bulb the torque converter stopped unlocking with the R/H turn signal. Don't ask me but it did fix it.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke