Tiny piece for carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack mcwatters 84

Reaction score
Hey guys so recently I bought a new carb for my 1984 Ford bronco it’s just a stock replacement and I’m having trouble with the choke flap on the top that lets air in. The old one almost sprung back to closed, and this one doesn’t seem to have that springy affect. Not sure what’s causing it to not work right.

besides that problem I broke a small plastic sensor which I will post pictures of but I can’t find the part number and I’d appreciate if anyone knew what it was called l could use your help!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I think that is just part of the vapor recovery which is not all that important. Hopefully someone else will follow up.

As far as choke adjustment, they are adjustable. that is the dial on the other side of the carb. You can see the back on it in the picture you posted.

usually 3 screws, you loosen them and turn the dial to adjust tension on the choke.

Couple different approaches,

When the engine is fully warmed up, turn the dial so the choke is fully open, but just barely.

Other approach is of course to wait until one of the cooler morning and adjust the choke so it is just barely closed.

When adjusting hold the throttle slightly open, usually these carbs have a high idle cam and can create friction when adjusting the choke if not opened.

OP
OP
J

Jack mcwatters 84

Reaction score
I am not sure, but I think that is just part of the vapor recovery which is not all that important. Hopefully someone else will follow up.

As far as choke adjustment, they are adjustable. that is the dial on the other side of the carb. You can see the back on it in the picture you posted.

usually 3 screws, you loosen them and turn the dial to adjust tension on the choke.

Couple different approaches,

When the engine is fully warmed up, turn the dial so the choke is fully open, but just barely.

Other approach is of course to wait until one of the cooler morning and adjust the choke so it is just barely closed.

When adjusting hold the throttle slightly open, usually these carbs have a high idle cam and can create friction when adjusting the choke if not opened.
Thank you I adjusted the choke like you mentioned and it runs much smoother than it was before. It seems to backfire a little when I get up to fourth gear I’m not sure why. I’ll have to figure that out next. Also my throttle cable is bad so it’s a whole bunch of problems. I wanted to replace that vapor thing because I want it to at least attempt to pass smog. Any tips for passing?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Never ever had to deal with emissions testing sorry no help there.

How does it idle? Spitting in 4th gear can be caused by a vacuum leak, which could very well be related to the solenoid you are trying to fix. And of course it could be related to a restricted fuel filter or timing advance as well.

chrlsful

Reaction score
the auto, as a system, one thing in one place can effect all others. Its great to have a guide close. Many use a Chiltons or Haynes manual. I would start at the beginning & do a ignition tune FIRST (system) THEN move onto the carb & fuel system tune. The idea here is "a rule out" sorta approach (use of science). U want to B sure what U C is not caused by where U look, lack of knowledge...you have mechanical (throttle cable) problems as well as adjustment (carb) ones.
I do not envy you as it seems you have under-hood conditions which reached their pinnacle (last of the carbs B4 TBI) in complications. They run very well when all components are there & well coordinated. Trouble is - that may have not been true for the last 30, 40 yrs...

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hey guys so recently I bought a new carb for my 1984 Ford bronco it’s just a stock replacement and I’m having trouble with the choke flap on the top that lets air in. The old one almost sprung back to closed, and this one doesn’t seem to have that springy affect. Not sure what’s causing it to not work right.

besides that problem I broke a small plastic sensor which I will post pictures of but I can’t find the part number and I’d appreciate if anyone knew what it was called l could use your help!
What you can do is epoxy it. I had a hard piece of plastic on my crab broke too and could not find one. So I tried some epoxy from Harbor Freight (cost about $2.oo ) I put it on where the pieces met--on both sides and let it dry for about 24 hours. Then sanded down BOTH sides and it looks as good as new and its strong. Good luck.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
What you can do is epoxy it. I had a hard piece of plastic on my crab broke too and could not find one. So I tried some epoxy from Harbor Freight (cost about $2.oo ) I put it on where the pieces met--on both sides and let it dry for about 24 hours. Then sanded down BOTH sides and it looks as good as new and its strong. Good luck.
The name I used was HFT, EPOXY- QUICK SETTING.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Never ever had to deal with emissions testing sorry no help there.

How does it idle? Spitting in 4th gear can be caused by a vacuum leak, which could very well be related to the solenoid you are trying to fix. And of course it could be related to a restricted fuel filter or timing advance as well.
Or fuel line. My cousin noticed mine was almost closed all the way. I got the copper tubing out and made a new one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke