Timing the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
How do you time the engine with the Duraspark II module, according to my Chilton's book it says if the timing is off you have to replace the ignition module????

I've got a timing light as a loaner for a day or two, so I hope I can get the tranny pan back on and fluid in it so I can start the engine tonight and check it out.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
How do you time the engine with the Duraspark II module, according to my Chilton's book it says if the timing is off you have to replace the ignition module????I've got a timing light as a loaner for a day or two, so I hope I can get the tranny pan back on and fluid in it so I can start the engine tonight and check it out.
Matt,

Do you have a vacuum advance on your distributor?

My Haynes manual says that the Duraspark II systems are adjustable, but the Duraspark III s are not.

joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yes it is adjustable using a timing light. The procedure is outlined on the vacuum diagram sticker located on the radiator support. Depending on the engine it should be between 8 and 10 degrees BTDC. Remove and plug the vacuum line to the distributor. Do the whole procedure in the order outlined on the sticker, (Cold idle, timing and curb idle).

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
Got it set at about 10 BTDC... no more backfire, still a little hesitation when pressing the accelerator. I imagine that could be either the accelerator pump or a vacuum leak... have to take the timing light back tomorrow.

Oh, and the module just says Duraspark on it.. thought it said Duraspark II...

Seabronc

Reaction score
Got it set at about 10 BTDC... no more backfire, still a little hesitation when pressing the accelerator. I imagine that could be either the accelerator pump or a vacuum leak... have to take the timing light back tomorrow.
Oh, and the module just says Duraspark on it.. thought it said Duraspark II...
Being an 82, it is a Duraspark II. Like Joe said, if it has a vacuum line on the distributor it is a II.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23