Thumping Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shaun94

bronco commander
Reaction score
All right here we go, I have an 88fsb recently I've been hearing a thumping noise under my seat when I hit the gas. It dosen't do it all the time, I have new c6 tranny haven't had any trouble shifting, so I don't know if it is my driveshaft or ujoint. I saw a post were somebody had a thumping noise in the rear but this is deafitly coming from underneath my seat because i can feel it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appriciated.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
You're going to have to spend time, chasing this one down. Put the truck in N, set the parking brake, and crawl under there. Check for worn/broken motor/tranny mounts, driveline U-joints and the slip-joint, check for work yokes and/or worn bearings in the axles, or Tcase, check the backlash in the rear axle (IIRC, anymore than about 1/16 turn is too much)

azrockrat

Reaction score
if it is under your seat check the tranny cross member make sure it is tight, that is a common thing

Sturgell

Reaction score
I have a broke axle on the front and it made a bad thumping noise because I left the hub wit hthe good axle locked and it was twisting the other axle. [-X Stupid me lol.

James Sturgell

amcabbott

Reaction score
chech your radius arm bushing there should be no up down side to side play .

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I agree with amcabbot my radious arm bushings in my F150 extended cab are shot right now and there a thumping noise under the seat . To look at them they look fine but under close inspection the cone part where it goes in the bracket has worn or broken off and it has been moving up and down and has polished the bracket .

Gunner

Reaction score
yup that is always a good way to check. we all have old vehicles so if you find a shiny spot than something is most definitely not right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23