tailgate seperation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaindrive

Reaction score
just noticed that there is a seperation in the metal on the tailgate at the very top right side on the edge.

no rust, just a 3" long opening about 1/16" wide.

common problem?

any fixes?

thanks.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo chaindrive,

As desert4wheeling advised; could be either a section of the

1 41610 Outside Weatherstrip, Tailgate - SEE DIAGRAM BELOW This is the inner and outer belts on the tailgate that the window goes between. Clips are made onto the belts.
7TALBELTS.JPG
available at our sponsor, Jeff's Broncograveyard
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-34543-tailgate-weatherstrip-inner-outer.html

Weather Seal, Outer, Rear Glass Run Seal Removal (broncograveyard pn 34543 for 80-96); "...Use a screwdriver to gently pry the OUTER weatherbelt up just enough to pop the cllps loose. I've pulled the far end out to show the clips, but it should be left straight until ALL the clips are loose, then lifted out without bending. The inner seal is removed the same way, but use a rag between the screwdriver and the paint..." by Steve
weatherbelt.jpg

or

14 41616 Upper Corner Seal, Tailgate Weatherstrip End, Right

RHTGTWTHRSTPEND.JPG

Item #34544A - New
1980-96 Ford Bronco
Pass Side
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-34544A-weatherstrip-end-right.html

end-seal.jpg

If you only need to change the weatherbelts, or if the glass needs to come out, remove the ***** from each end seal and rotate them up toward the glass to disengage the hooked end from the lip inside the window opening. Then remove the ***** at each end of the outer weatherbelt.

by Steve

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual by motorcraftservice

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSTJ/~MUS~LEN/21/STJLEFT.HTM

see

Section 01-11: Glass, Frames and Mechanisms

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Item Part Number Description 1 41610 Outside Weatherstrip, Tailgate 2 23394 Window Regulator Electric Drive 3 380642-S ****** Outside Weatherstrip-to-Tailgate 4 42072 Inside Weatherstrip, Tailgate 5 40700 Tailgate 6 57472-S2 Bolt, Back Window Glass Run-to-Tailgate 7 422A20 Back Window Glass Run 8 387392-S Bumper 9 44000 Tailgate Window Regulator 10 422B18 Back Window Glass Bracket 11 57472-S2 Bolt, Tailgate Window Regulator-to-Tailgate
(4 Req'd) 12 42006 Back Window Glass 13 43505 Lock Cylinder, Tailgate 14 41616 Upper Corner Seal, Tailgate 15 376389-S ****** Tailgate Upper Corner Seal-to-Tailgate 16 14559 Clip, Window Regulator Switch Retainer 17 43629 Retainer, Tailgate Lock Cylinder 18 385323-S Rivet, Back Window Glass Bracket-to-Back Window Glass 19 234A44 Door Window Glass Bracket Spacer 20 234A46 Door Window Glass Channel Bracket Retainer 21 234A24 Window Regulator Drive Gear Kit A — Tighten to 6-11 Nm
(53-97 Lb-Ft)

N8411C.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
miesk5,

if you look at your diagram, the point of seperation is right at the place where the #5 arrow points to.

it's an actual split between two pieces of sheet metal where they are joined together.

i saw another bronco for sale on e-bay and one of the pictures showed the same split, making me think this might be a common problem.

all i can think of to fix it would be to try and fill in the crack with jb weld or rtv. don't know how long either would hold up though.

glad we don't get a lot of rain...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo C,

ok... here is info on what Steve describes as;

Outer Skin Split Repair, Due to Reinforcement Tab Breakage; "...Most Bronco owners have had to deal with this at some point, either simply due to age, or collision, or oversized spare. The only lasting repair I've ever heard of is replacing the tailgate skin, which is prohibitively expensive for a truck like mine. So I've decided to try something different. I've come up with 2 fixes that should stop this tear, allowing the gap to be permanently filled & painted. One only applies to t/gs that have already torn, like this one, and mine. The other applies to all t/gs, even if they have no visible tear yet..."

19split.jpg

This starts @ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/763653

click NEXT to go to next page and so-on

@ File 8 of 19
"...After forcing the rear skin forward into position, I crimped the lip along the top hold it in place temporarily while I drilled a hole thru the outer skin & side skin. I'm using a black STEEL (also called steel/steel; not Aluminum/steel) 3/16" pop rivet. If your t/g isn't torn yet (even if the tab is broken), you can skip this, but it won't hurt to do it as a preventative measure..."

rnfrc06.jpg

"...This heavy black pop rivet should provide enough strength to do the main repair. When the t/g is closed, this rivet will be hidden under the corner of the camper shell..."

rnfrc07.jpg

by Steve

OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
o.k., i think i know what caused the split.

heavier / larger spare tire than stock. the problem didn't show up until i went to larger tires.

thanks for providing the great tutorial miesk5.

now to find a good body man...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23