Switch Checking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
Okay, I just replaced my tailgate on my 90 302, after wiring everything up I found the window dosen't go up or down. The motor works and all wires are hooked up, I think it may be the switch, how do I tell if a switch isn't working?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Your report is a little confusing. You say the motor works but the window doesn't go up or down. How do you know the motor works? Can you hear it? If so, thenit either isn't engaged in the regulator correctly or the drive gear is bad.

When you say switch, which switch? There are two of them. I doubt very much that it is the switch.

:)>-

OP
OP
F

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I tested the motor before i bought the part by connecting the red and yellow wires to a booster pak. I mean the switch on the dash that moves the window up and down and the other switch is for the DEFROSTER!

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Did you check the safety switch in the gate on the upper driver side that will put a Whoaaaaa to the whole thing working :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Seabronc

Reaction score
The other switch I was talking about is the one on the tail gate. I assume that it does not work either. If that is true, then BLADE262US's suggestion is most likely the problem. Some people, including myself have that switch bypassed. Attached is a diagram of the circuit.

Good luck,

Tail_gate_window_circuit_80__86.jpg

OP
OP
F

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
thanks, but i'm not getting any power to the motor, I tested the wires going to the safety switch and they get about 11.91 volts, but after the switch, I get nothing. I moved the switch thing and hit the buttons, but nothing worked. well, its gonna snow here anyway, it can wait till spring.

Seabronc

Reaction score
wait, what do you have to do to the switch or how do you bypass it?
30742[/snapback]

That is the switch you see in the diagram that is in series with the motor.

You can just cut the wires going to it and splice them together or if you can get the connector off, make up a jumper with two spade lugs, stick them in the connector and tape it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Actually bypassing that switch has the advantage of being able to move the window while the gate is down so you can get inside the tail gate for maintenance. Just support the window if you are going to put it fully up when the gate is down :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Also, be careful that the window is all the way down when you decide to close the gate or that the gate is fully closed before putting the window up.

American Rebel

4x4 Trail Master
Reaction score
The tailgate has a safety switch, which unless the tailgate is up, the window will not come up... I'd imagine it would go bad from all the beating it would take from lowering and putting the tailgate back up.... Can't you bypass it?

American Rebel

4x4 Trail Master
Reaction score
Thats the one were talking about its tucked way up on the drivers side real pain in the ass to get too .  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
30768[/snapback]

Any tailgate is a pain the ass to work on... all of the stuff is crammed in some location that take hours to fix...

OP
OP
F

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
okay, so i cut the wires going to the safety and splice them to the other red and yellow ones and it will be ok?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Any tailgate is a pain the ass to work on... all of the stuff is crammed in some location that take hours to fix...
30769[/snapback]

That is why bypassing it is a real advantage. I have never had any problem working inside of my tail gate. Moving the window or completely removing it makes it easy to get at things, even the motor.

OP
OP
F

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
So thats it, connect the wires after the switch and its done? Funny thing is though, everything I do usually ends up costong me alot of cash.

Seabronc

Reaction score
So thats it, connect the wires after the switch and its done? Funny thing is though, everything I do usually ends up costong me alot of cash.
30781[/snapback]

Not sure what you mean by after the switch, but just cut the two wires and twist them together and us a wire nut or crimp cap, or take the connector off the switch and put a jumper in the connector between the two contacts and tape it up.

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
Well, I think I wired something up wrong, everytime I hit the window switch the defroster comes on. Now what?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, I think I wired something up wrong, everytime I hit the window switch the defroster comes on. Now what?
30804[/snapback]

Good question VTK <_< Maybe someone is pulling our leg :unsure:

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but take it to someone who knows what they are looking at. Unfortunately we can't see what you have done. You must have messed with the wrong wires. The Defroster switch and Rear window switch are tow completely diferent circuits. Here is the diagram which includes the wire color codes.

Rear_window_Circuit1.jpg

Rear_window_Circuit2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula