steering gear box....grrr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Cucamongan

Reaction score
I have replaced a few as well (like the cheap CRAP that comes from AutoZone: Lowest price and Quality!)

BUT one tip I got from a friend and have not tried it yet, but if it is just noisy and sticky, replace the fluid with Lucas Power Steering Reconditioner (or something like that...) and run it like that.

Be sure its Lucas brand. Its sold at NAPA and other places.

If it doesn't work, your only out $10 or 15 or 20

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
I know i posted question 2x.....sorry.... job went well except the problem with the pressurized hoses not fitting...luckily i live 45 mins from jbg's and got the correct hose there...thanks all for advice

Good, so you were able to drop it and align the new one to reinstall without any problems? I'm glad to hear it, I'm trying to figure out if I want to replace mine or just the bottom seal, it's leaking but the box seems to be in good condition.

whitey

Reaction score
Good, so you were able to drop it and align the new one to reinstall without any problems? I'm glad to hear it, I'm trying to figure out if I want to replace mine or just the bottom seal, it's leaking but the box seems to be in good condition.
i've got the same issue- pin hole leak somewhere in the box. i think i'm going to just replace the whole thing. it'll make it one step closer to restoration and hopefully one less thing i would need to worry about for a good while. i think rockauto.com has some decent quality ones from ac delco and motorcraft for a fair price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23