steering column id question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudbug6483

Reaction score
I've had my 82 for about 23 years now and the turn signal switch broke last week. I thought it was a tilt column but ive never had to move it. so ive got 2 questions. 1 do you push/pull the turn signal stalk to release it (mine may just be jammed or stuck from not being used) if not then how is it done? 2 how can i identify if its tilt or not from the outside or will i find out when i pull the steering wheel and look and see the turn signal switch version i have?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I've had my 82 for about 23 years now and the turn signal switch broke last week. I thought it was a tilt column but ive never had to move it. so ive got 2 questions. 1 do you push/pull the turn signal stalk to release it (mine may just be jammed or stuck from not being used) if not then how is it done? 2 how can i identify if its tilt or not from the outside or will i find out when i pull the steering wheel and look and see the turn signal switch version i have?
You pull on the handle and when you get the wheel where you want it. You release it. It does not pull very far.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought you had to push the turn signal lever towards the dash to release it in that era.

With a picture we could probably tell.

if I remember right, where the turn signal lever scrws in. It will look like the lever is agains a wire, I say wire, but I mean more like a rod that is about 1/8" thick. The lever would push on that wire to release the column.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
You pull on the handle and when you get the wheel where you want it. You release it. It does not pull very far.
To know if its a tilt wheel. Look at the steering column--upper part and see if it is in line with the other parts---or if it has a release on the upper left side--besides the signal light switch-----------some may work off the signal light lever.
I thought you had to push the turn signal lever towards the dash to release it in that era.

With a picture we could probably tell.

if I remember right, where the turn signal lever scrws in. It will look like the lever is agains a wire, I say wire, but I mean more like a rod that is about 1/8" thick. The lever would push on that wire to release the column.
Maybe it is. I know on my Cadillac,Buick and Dodge, You pull on the lever and on the bottom of the steering wheel. You either push down or lift up to the desired position. Their not new vehicles.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
1649085289544.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke