starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86BroncoDriver

Reaction score
Hey new to the forum. Alright I decided I needed to clean the connections on the old bronco. After doing so it has been either not wanting to turn over or the starter hangs up and I have to yank the battery cable off. It was running on Wednesday prior to this. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP

86BroncoDriver

Reaction score
Before I replaced it the truck didn't want to start but I could jump it and it'd try to start so I figured it was bad but this is the second one I've been through both arethe same brand. I know everything is hooked up correctly. Is it that common to get a defective relay twice?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo 86,

WELCOME!

What do you mean by "or the starter hangs up":

does starter crank engine, then stops and hangs or buzzes?

or does starter just buzz or hum?

Here is the wiring diagram for 86 Bronco

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=27271

Some non- Ford Motorcraft starter relays (mtd. on pass. side fender liner near batty) are bad out of the box.

Have you tried applying battery + voltage w/small jumper wire to the small stud on the relay where Red/Lt. Blue wire is attached??

No Start Troubleshooting; "...First thing to check is wiring. Between the large posts of your starter relay should be a smaller post with a Red/Lt. Blue wire attached. This is the wire from your ignition switch through the Park/Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)/Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS), Or clutch safety switch on a manual trans, or NSS/MLPS with an AOD/E4OD, to the starter relay and the on to the starter solenoid (if equipped) and starter. Check this wire for cracks, open insulation, or anything that could possibly cause an open circuit.

Next, check your upper ignition actuator. Find the ignition rod (on top of the column, running from the steering wheel down to the ignition switch at the base of the column) and make sure it's moving back and forth when you turn the key, through all positions. If it is, your upper actuator is probably not the problem. Lastly, check your ignition switch (again, at the base of the column). Manually push the switch back and forth through the different positions. Push it all the way forward (or down) and see if it will engage the starter. If it does, then your ignition rod is probably bent, which can be remedied quite easily. & If it's an auto, try starting in neutral or while pulling up on the lever while it's in park. If that works, look to the Park/NSS/MLPS. If it's a stick, check the clutch switch. You could try jumping from hot to the small terminal on the starter relay to test it's operation. Sometimes new ones are bad out of the box. If it won't turn over when jumped to the small terminal, you'll know that it's a starter relay issue (Bad part, bad ground (ground is thru rley body to inner fender) or a bad starter. Check to see if da relay is tight to inner fender with no corrosion because the relay's body is ground path via inner fender). If it does turns over jumped to the small terminal, then you'll be looking for something in the small circuit that includes the ignition switch & the park/neutral safety switch (NSS/MLPS) Or clutch safety switch. There should be 12v running from the ignition switch, thru the NSS/MLPS, to the small terminal on the starter relay. Disconnect the small wire to the starter relay (So it doesn't start by surprise, I'd pull the coil wire too). With someone holding the key in the start position, you should be able to read 12v between any point on that small circuit & ground. When you find where you lose 12v, then you'll know where the issue is..."; Source: by BigUgly88EB and ElKabong (Ken, El Kabong)

No Start Troubleshooting; "...If you can't start the Bronco from the key/cylinder it might be the "upper ignition actuator" has broken in it's track inside the steering wheel OR could be just the key cylinder itself which "pops out" if you look right under it on the metal column collar, there's a little slot and with the key turned to RUN -engine off push up inside with an appropriate tool and comes right out. You can start the vehicle from the "starter relay" under the hood, right inside fender area or pull off the "black plastic cosmetic column shroud" exposing a long 'ignition actuator ROD" and with the key turned to RUN using a set of pliers, drive the ignition actuator ROD downward/forward and the vehicle will start with most key functions intact....i.e, RUN/NO START, OFF/LOCK, AUX

by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean)

OP
OP

86BroncoDriver

Reaction score
On the relay that was originally on the truck I jumped it with a ***** driver and the starter started to start the truck. The other two relays after I hooked everything up as soon as the ground wire for the battery hits the terminal I get a big spark and it tries to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

86BroncoDriver

Reaction score
Alright I bought a new brand of relay. Now the truck still starts when I put the ground on the battery. Took the wire from the starter off so it wouldn't spin over while I tested my connections. I have a constant 2 volts on the small ignition post, 12 on the battery post of the relay. After I checked everything I put all wires back on and when I put the ground to the battery it didn't immediately start to start. It seems to be an intermittent issue. I turned the key and starter got stuck on until I pulled the wire off of the battery. Took little ignition wire off touched the ground wire to the battery and it still tried to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

86BroncoDriver

Reaction score
I've owned the thing for five years now and have never had this issue before and the problem only began after cleaning the connections. I took the new relay back off and I can hear the insides moving around. Doesn't sound normal to me.

BobJamisonIII

Reaction score
Sounds like the power wire going to the starter is touching the other wire. Had the same issue on and old ranger. Replaced the starter and when I hooked the battery up it started cranking over. Turned out the hot wire was just barely touching the other terminal or wire on the starter. Hope this helps. Had to put a different end piece in the wire so it wouldn't touch the other terminal

OP
OP

86BroncoDriver

Reaction score
Alright finally got it to start without it starting by itself. Now I have a new issue. Whenever I step on the gas the radio loses power and the cab lights go dim. Also I've noticed the tach is pretty jettery instead of smoothly moving like before. Alternator has been rebuilt a month ago and I get 14.4 volts at the battery while running. Any ideas?

OP
OP

86BroncoDriver

Reaction score
Well I finally got a relay that actually did what its suppose to do. It ended up having a slightly dead battery. After the starter kept trying to start with the other relays I was assuming it was going to do it again so I left the driver door open while trying to start. A combination of the under hood light, cab lights,and trying to start just made it do nothing. The new problem was fixed too. I had a little ground coming from negative battery terminal to firewall that wasn't reconnected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23