Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomC

Reaction score
My starter just went out on my 78 bronco at the store. I need to know if there is any way for me to still start it in order to get it home so that I can replace the starter

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
If it has a standard tranny, yes.

If an auto.. no, unless it is the solenoid instead of the starter.

The two large terminals on the solenoid can be jumpered with a set of jumper cables to activate the starter. Only for a few seconds though and expect to see fireworks from it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A standard can be 'jumped' by having the vehicle pushed in nuetral (someone in the seat ready to start the engine AND stop the vehicle ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) and dumping the clutch hard after shifting into second gear.

This also works while being pushed backwards, just be sure to put the tranny in reverse if going that direction. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
T

TomC

Reaction score
it is an auto. I guess I am just going to have to fix it in the parking lot. oh well

OP
OP
T

TomC

Reaction score
I just installed a new starter and selinoid and when I try to start it up I still hear a clicking noise from the bell housing. Any other ideas. or could it be mis aligned with the fly wheel????

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula