Starter keeps running after started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I know there are a ton of forums about this problem none of them have helped that much. I have a 90 bronco 5.8L with a newly rebuilt motor. This problem happened before I built it but it's getting more to happen more often now. It is efI. I have replaced the starter and the ignition switch. Replaced the nss. Clean the ground behind the solenoid and this is the third starter solenoid. Clean the mounting bolts. Ran new wires expect the top wire on top of the solenoid. Any new ideas will be greatly appreciated. O yea I get it to stop by tapping the solenoid.

Seabronc

Reaction score
A couple of questions

Do you have a PMGR starter? 

If so, is it wired like the attached diagram?

If so and it is wired as the diagram, which relay are you tapping on, the one on the fender or the one on the starter?

PMGR Starter Wiring.jpg

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I am tapping on the fender solenoid. My starter is just the motor with no solenoid attached to it and has one wire from the relay going to it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo broncoboyerusa,

Suspect non-Motorcraft relays that mount to fender; esp. Chinese parts with sub standard metal contacts tyat are known to stick.

Disconnect the red/light blue wire's push-on connector from the relay. I assume you disconnected battery, so re-connect with jumper cables, but be ready to remove.

If it still cranks, then starter relay has stuck contacts.

Or remove all wires from relay and check for continuity between the two large posts where battery cables were attached,

Starter Relay pic in a 90

100_9803.jpg

by ElKabong

Disconnect battery;

Check for battery voltage on that red/light blue wire with ignition switch off.

If it has battery voltage suspect ignition switch (not the ignition key's cylinder) or its actuator rod inside steeriing column.

Ignition Switch Mechanical Test

NOTE: Accessories that fail to operate with the key in RUN, or that remain on when the key is turned off, may be the result of a misadjusted ignition switch rather than a malfunctioning ignition switch. Refer to Ignition Switch in the Adjustments portion of this section.

NOTE: Do not apply lubricant to the inside of the ignition switch.

Test the ignition system mechanical operation by rotating the ignition switch lock cylinder through all positions of the ignition switch. The movement should feel smooth with no sticking or binding. The ignition system should return from the START position back to the ON position without assistance (spring return). If sticking or binding is encountered, check for the following:

burrs on the ignition switch lock cylinder

binding ignition switch lock cylinder

shroud rubbing against ignition switch lock cylinder

burrs or foreign material around the rack-and-pinion actuator in the housing of the ignition switch lock cylinder

insufficient **** on actuator

binding ignition switch

Ignition Switch Adjustment & Removal/Installation in 87-91 (from Factory Manual and the Ford Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM)

Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave) @ http://web.archive.org/web/20110909003616/http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=6659

Ignition Actuator Removal & Installation w/Tilt Steering in an 85 (also applies to 80-91 w/Tilt;

Source: by Chris B (Blue, bronco boy) @ http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Bronco/Projects/Steering_Column/Steering_Column.html

Attached are two start system wiring diagrams for your 90 5.8 .. one with E4OD and one with AOD.

Screenshot_20170212-093248.png

Screenshot_20170212-093214.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170212-093248.png
    Screenshot_20170212-093248.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20170212-093214.png
    Screenshot_20170212-093214.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.