Stalling issues with my 78

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broncobeast21

Reaction score
Hey guys im a noob to this world and I have an issue since coming back from my latest deployment. My beast starts just fine but if I let go inside while it runs it will stall. It drives just fine when I stop at light it stalls some times, well most times. I want to fix the issue myself, I think that maybe it's a vacuum leak our fuel issue in the carburetor . I dont know enough about them to just go turning screws. If you could give advice I would love it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo BB,

WELCOME BACK & WELCOME HERE!!

Take a look at this info

Hesitation, deadspot or stalling that only seems to occur after the first mile of warmup.

1) Defective electric assist on choke 1) Replace it.

2) Defective accelerator pump (low output). 2) Replace it.

3) Float level setting very low. 3) Adjust to factory specs.

4) Bad ignition condenser. 4) Replace it.

5) Plugged heat crossever system in manifold. 5) Inspect and clean passages in the intake manifold and heads. Test heat riser valve, replace if defective.

6) Defective source of hot air up to the carburetor. 6) Check and replace as necessary: heat shroud duct, temperature sensor, vacuum door moter, manifold vacuum supply.

7) Defective thermal switch. 7) Check all thermal switches, especially those connected with the distributor, EGR, & vacuum motors in the air cleaner housing.

by Recarbco Fuel Systems

http://www.recarbco.com/technical/newtrouble.html#Hesitation

See my Vacuum Leak Test at http://broncozone.com/topic/22770-low-idle/

On an idling engine check for vacuum leaks using a mechanic's stethoscope with the probe removed, or a ~3' garden hose section. BEWARE of fab, belts, pulleys and hot engine/hoses.

On COLD ENGINE only, use propane torch w/rubber hose attached, UNLIT (have fire ext @ hand for all tests)

or spray carb cleaner, when it gets to the the leak the RPMs will rise.

Also check: vacuum hoses; intake manifold gasket & throttle body;

GL!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi 21.., welcome & thanks for your service..!

Not much info. to go on, eng., carb., mods, etc. When you gather up as much info on your rig as you know, fill-in your sig. page. (see mine below) That helps us help you. (it can be updated at any time)

How long was it sitt'n.., how old was the fuel..?

What you describe sounds like some debris got into the idle circuit. There's a quick way to (sometimes) clear this but I'm not going into it as it could be dangerous with your limited exp. [-X

However, a local mechanic will know this & only takes less than 5 min. He likely won't even charge you.

It involves hi revs then block'n the carb. etc. He'll know the trick. >:D< <'>

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23