Spout connector (timing)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Ok, so I installed my electric fan conversion today, and thought I would check my plugs and timing since I had the garage to myself. I disconnect the spout connector and check the timing. It's about 14 BTDC. I reconnect the spout and I thought the timing should go to about 20 BTDC, but it doesn't move! Timing the same at idle, with or without the spout connected. Is this a problem with the module? maybe the spout wire broken? or something I am percieving as a problem, but in reality nothing wrong?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo RON,

Did you use a remote starter or use ign key to bump engine?

If remote; oes this fit the issue?

Timing Procedure Manual Update TSB 90-18B-2 for 84-90 Bronco F Series, Econoline, Ranger & 86-90 Aerostar; May Exhibit Spark Knock/Ping after Starting Engine w/Remote Starter; Start Wire S Terminal Disconnected at Starter Relay with the Key On Will Cause the TFI-IV ICM to Revert to Start Mode Timing after the vehicle is started (Timing Will Be ********). Ignition Timing will be Incorrectly Advanced if Base Timing is Set while the Module is in Start Mode. Engine must be started w/the Start wire connected, using ignition switch to correctly set the base timing.

Wiring or as you suspect, SPOUT ckt wiring; replace SPOUT w/bare wire and try

Wiring Diagram in a 96; Connector C1019

Source: by Mikey350 at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/939533

DTC P1359 Spark output circuit condition; ECM detected no SPOUT signal from distributor. Probable Cause: SPOUT connector missing; Open circuit condition; Ignition control module fault. 1. Check the Spark Output (SPOUT) connector near the Ignition Control Module (ICM) at the rear of driver side fender apron (near hood hinge) to see if the SPOUT connector is missing or is making poor contact to the connector. 2. If the SPOUT connector & connection appear to be in good condition, install a timing light onto #1 spark plug wire and check for timing advance at idle with the engine running. Ignition timing should indicate 10 degrees BTDC with the SPOUT connector removed but timing should then advance when the connector is plugged back in. 3. If there is no timing advance using a timing light, check the Pink (PK) wire at the ICM connection for a square-wave signal as the engine is running using a labscope. 4. If there is no signal present on the PK wire, check the PK wire between the ICM and PCM pin 50 for an open circuit. 5. If the circuit checks to be OK and ignition timing appears to be advancing over base timing with the SPOUT connector installed, clear the code, disconnect the voltage regulator at the alternator and drive the vehicle for several miles to check for the light to illuminate and the code to reset. 6. Check coil output of all individual spark plug wire ends to verify that spark will jump a 1/2-3/4" gap consistently and that it has a bluish tint of color to it. 7. If spark output is weak or erratic, replace the coil and re-check for the setting of the service code. 8. Also inspect all plug wires ends for potential pin-hole leaks that could allow spark to arc to the cylinder heads in the plug well. Run a grounded ***** driver up and down the plug wire boot as the wire is connected to a spark tester to determine if any of the wires are faulty. 9. If timing advance appears to be working properly and there are no electrical issues related to the alternator, coil or plug wires, either the PCM or the ICM will need to be substituted to determine if one of them is causing the condition.

OP
OP
Rons beast

Rons beast

Reaction score
Thanks M5,

I'm checking the wiring and continuity today. I don't have a labscope laying around, so that is the extent of what I can do.

BTW..I did not use a remote starter button. It may be time for a new ign module. I think the one I have is about 15 years old. I have been getting the occational miss, and I know the secondary side of the ignition is all good.

I'll let you know what I find.

thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Ron,

ok, good!

Fot the helluva it; inspect SPOUT connector (its just a shorting bar); replace w/bare wire if suspect.

OP
OP
Rons beast

Rons beast

Reaction score
Good idea M5...

I checked continuity from spout wire to port 50...ok. I cleaned contacts...no change. I did the bare wire....no change.

I rechecked for codes....none.other than a temp 1359, when the spout connector is dissconnected. Clear the pending code,install the spout, nothing resets.

Truck runs great, but for no advance with spout reinstalled, at idle. I do get advance with climbing rpm.

I think I will get a new ICM, as the old one has about 15 years on it.

Thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Ron,

ok, If you get a new one, I suggest genuine Ford Motorcraft

should be Black ICM

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics