Shorty Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ambull

Reaction score
I have an '89 FS Bronco XLT (w/ AC and airpump manifold-I think that's what it is called?) It sounds like its time to replace the pass. side exaust manifold. I'm thinking of going with shorty headers instead of messing with this manifold problem... which I'm told is common.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth it? And if so, what brand/ type should I be looking for. Also, where should I look to buy them. I have a mech. buddy who will install them, but I thought I'd see if any of you had suggestions/ experiences to share.

I'm new to the group, but it looks like a good place to talk. Thanks in advance for your time.

pooh145

Reaction score
Don't know personally but let me know how it goes and sounds. I've been thinking about getting some better headers for my truck.

Andy

shaun94

bronco commander
Reaction score
It all depends on the sound and performance you want. I was going to do headers when i put on my new exshuast but found headers can be real exspencive for the good ones anyway, and they also produce a lot of heat under the hood. In the end I went with the manifolds and truck sounds really good. like I said it's all in what you want to do. Good luck and let us know about your progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

ambull

Reaction score
Thanks for your response shaun94/pooh145.

Have you had any problems with the manifold since you replaced them? I have been told that the Bronco can go through them in a hurry. What type of exhaust did you go with?

My main objective is to get the most for my dollar and have a well running rig. Of course I would love the added go and another mile to the gallon. But the 351 is enough by itself, and let's face it, we don't drive these rigs for the mpg. There is a part of me that does the bad boy sound, but I am also a some what practical Dad too.

pooh145

Reaction score
as far as exhaust I just bought the kit that Flowmaster has and I love how they sound. I've been anxious to add some headers too it but now i'm intrigued at what new manifolds might be able to add as well :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I do know that Summitt has some shorty headers for our 351's that runs a little less than 200 bucks but I have no idea how they sound...good luck

Andy

shaun94

bronco commander
Reaction score
So far I haven't had any problems since I replaced my manifolds, And I also went with the flowmaster exshaust system.

OP
OP
A

ambull

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just replace the manifold and add a new exhaust. 3" Flowmaster... is that what I should be thinking? Thanks again guys.

Stomper4x4

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just replace the manifold and add a new exhaust. 3" Flowmaster... is that what I should be thinking? Thanks again guys.
Sounds like a plan. The way I see it, there are no ideal solutions. Put in new manifolds, and you'll likely end up with the same problem again some day. Not to mention, headers add power etc. Headers, like I said, make plug access a pain. I think there are headers that allow easier access, but, if I remember right, they cost a fortune.

Good luck whatever you decide, I'm still trying to decide what route I want to take.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls