Serpintine Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kennel_Dog

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to convert my 87 broncos 351w to a serpintine belt instead of having a pile of different belts. My question is, it possible and whats required to make it happen.

Also, I`m buying a new automatic transmission (C6) and would like to know if I would be better off giving it to a mechanic or giving it a go myself (I`m no mechanic but tend to be able to figure things out). I`d love to convert to a manual trans but I thinks that might be beyond my abilty. Thanks, Pat.

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
Find a Bronco or Truck with the Serpintine setup and pull all Bratches and Ass. you need and it'll bolt right on.

You should have an AOD tranny in your 87. It's a pretty easy swap if ya got good mech. skills. You'll need a 351w flywheel from a C6 to replace the AOD flywheel. You'll also need kickdown linkage easy found since you still be Carb'd on the 87 351 insteaad of EFI.

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you don't have the kick down rod setup on your carb, you will have to get a throttle body with one on it. That can be found on any Ford Holly 4bbl that is attached to a C6. Your local friendly junk yard should have one. Any Ford truck with a C6 and Ford Holly 4bbl shold have it, 85 - 87 Bronco, F150, F250, or a van E150 or E250.

Just swap the throttle body from one of these, it mounts on the bottom of the carb with about 8 screws. Clean it up good and blow out all passages, but DO NOT [-X play with the idle mixture jets. They are the two little pin tips you can see when you have it upside down. If the donor carb that you get it from has never been rebuilt they will have caps over the adjustment end. If you need to mess with them, let us know. There are a few simple things to reduce the probability of problems.

You may also need to tweek the accelerator pump adjustment to match your vehicle. That is the spring loaded thing on the side where the throttle linkage hooks up. If you are not ready to have all that fun, give it to a mechanic. However, I bet you have it in you to do it. So if you decide to, at least get a Haynes and/or Chiltons. The best thing is to get a set of Ford shop manuals for your year truck. You can sometimes find them advertised on ebay, but if you find any of the ebay sellers that specialize in vehicle manuals you can email them. They will cost you a few bucks but if you want to really get into your truck, they are well worth the investment, (they are the Electric & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM), Volume A (Body, Chassis, Electric), Volume B (Engine), Volume C (Pre Delivery and Maintenance), Volume HT (Engine / Emissions Diagnosis). They are extreemly detailed and the combination is about 10 inches thick, Chiltons and Haynes are a Readers Digest version taking what the authors thought you need to know out of them. Unfortunately they leave out a lot of real good stuff. I would still get a Chiltons and/or Haynes as they are sometimes good for less technical stuff.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the project. Be caarefull changing the transmission in the back yard, make sure it is supported and get a couple of friends to help.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
K

Kennel_Dog

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advise guys. The trans thats in there right now is a C6 so as far as I know it should be just a straight swap. I`ll let you know how it goes anyway :unsure:

I know from experience that its tough finding any Broncos in junkyards around here, so the serpintine belt might take a while until a suitable donor comes along :rolleyes:

Thanks again, Pat.

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
If you don't have any luck with the bone yards, and if you don't have, or want A/C.... I have your serpintine setup. make me an offer...you pay shipping.

You will have to change your water pump to a reverse rotation, and maybe rewire your alternator. The serpintine alt has a 3 wire plug, and a 2 wire plug w/internal voltage regulator.

SEABRONC or GUNNER maybe can help you more w/this part, as they have the older Broncos.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Correct, the water pump rotation is reversed with the serpentine belt setup. I have all the parts from my 88 for sale, too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj