Rust Treatment: Restore vs. Ospho

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xsbronco

Reaction score
The metal turns black because the rust has been converted back to iron oxide. I have used a product called Prep and Prime by Jasco that does the same thing. I use a heat treated primer after that. Stuff goes on with a spray bottle and overnight it is ready. It is the best way, most people just try a rust inhibitor primer which doesn't get rid of the rust like these products.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Technically, rust is iron oxide or oxidized metal. The black color is due to iron phosphate, according to the Ospho label. Practically every rust-fighter product I've used works similar to this, causing the rusted metal to turn black. I've always preferred Ospho since it's one of the cheapest rust-primers, but my local NAPA store quit selling it. THe shipping costs more than the product was worth, according to them!!!

THey sold me a bottle of the Restore, since that's what they now carry, and it's half the cost of P.O.R-15. I like to see the rust go away or turn black before doing any painting, and not just cover it up hoping it won't come back later on.

If anyone has other rust products that they've used with good results, please post a link to some actual pics or provide some info.

xsbronco

Reaction score
Prep and Prime by Jasco at Home Depot in Paint Dept. 10.00 will do entire car with a spray bottle. I think it has a warranty too.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
XSBronco, do you have any more details on the Prep&Prime product? Like what size bottle, directions for use, etc. It sounds similar to Ospho by your description. I agree that products like that are a good treatment for rust when you plan to paint the metal.

xsbronco

Reaction score
It's about a litter bottle. It is a greenish color liquid. The last time I did it was on my 63 willys cj5 about 5 years ago. I pressure washed the entire thing inside and out and let dry. Sprayed this stuff on and let it dry overnight. Tadah... no rust. there was a few spots where I drenched the surface and it had that white film left over but it wipes right off. This stuff will burn you and is not so good to breathe so take the proper precautions. After letting it sit for a few days I got to prime it with rust destroyer primer as well. That has a heat rating of 800 deg. I then painted the bottom with a 2 part epoxy paint. its the same stuff a rhino etc. but doesn't have that rough texture. I wheeled that thing a lot and rubbin tires in wheel wells took a long time to rub into the primer. I should have put on a couple of more coats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23