Reseating the top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YJ351LC

Reaction score
Auto/Body shop removed and replaced the top to paint it on my 1994 Eddie Bauer. When they reseated it they misaligned it and it is not sealed properly. In order to get the window up the misaligned the tailgate and put a jumper on the switch to bypass the safety feature. Anybody have any tips on getting the top lined up correctly and adjusting the tailgate?

Finally got the pics to upload.

Pic#1-3 Apparently, they lost these two bolts on both sides of the top. Does anyone know the OEM bolt size and thread?

Pic#4-5 show the alignment issue. Not just the depth of the tailgate but also the body break. The tailgate is definitely sagging.
tempImageHtWuUq.jpgtempImageSl93rF.jpgtempImageHtWuUq.jpgtempImageSl93rF.jpgtempImagesINhUa.jpgtempImages3GjQW.jpgtempImageCYZipV.jpg

Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Pics would help.

But just loosen the bolts and slide it around where you want it if you can. I thought there were pins to help guide where it sits.

The window movement should have nothing to do with the top. Sounds like the tailgate latch isn't closing all the way.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Auto/Body shop removed and replaced the top to paint it on my 1994 Eddie Bauer. When they reseated it they misaligned it and it is not sealed properly. In order to get the window up the misaligned the tailgate and put a jumper on the switch to bypass the safety feature. Anybody have any tips on getting the top lined up correctly and adjusting the tailgate?

pics to follow...
Well price they charge now days. I,d take it back and have them do it right. I,m sure it cost a good bit of money. If they refused to do it. You can contact the state attorney Generals office in your state. The other way is if you do it yourself. Check it out before you take it off and see what needs to be done. Make sure the rear window is down. To prevent breaking it. It might take two people to help you take it off and check the seals and make sure everything is aligned up before the window is lowered again. Also pay close attention after its on. Make sure you take your time and make sure the rear window is aligned up and let it up a little at a time. Have someone watching it as its being raised. A little off can break it. TAKE YOUR TIME.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo YJ351LC,
Welcome!
See Tailgate Alignment @ Bronco Tailgate Alignment

THE BAD & UGLY::
Inspect Rear crossmember (aka Sill) for severe rust that negatively affect alignment the space between the quarter panels. See Rear body sill replacement. The fun begins

A good replacement is at

screenshot_20201118-111316_chrome-jpg.jpg

Tailgate Dimensions in mm see attachment

Adhesive for Camper Top Front & Side Weatherstrips; "...They don't attach to the metal - they're glued to the fiberglass, with a few screws at the rear corners. The cream color is the paint off the fiberglass. 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is probably the best for this application, but you MUST follow the directions to the letter - otherwise, it won't hold for $#!T..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at FSB
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

94 Bronco partial EVTM @ 1996 Ford Bronco '94 EVTM pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net by Mikey350

1994 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1994-Ford-Bronco.pdf

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by Ford via BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom
Al

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220419-143402_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-143402_Chrome.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 5

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo YJ351LC,
Welcome!

Inspect Rear crossmember (aka Sill) for severe rust that negatively affect alignment the space between the quarter panels. See Rear body sill replacement. The fun begins

A good replacement is at

View attachment 29768

Adhesive for Camper Top Front & Side Weatherstrips; "...They don't attach to the metal - they're glued to the fiberglass, with a few screws at the rear corners. The cream color is the paint off the fiberglass. 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is probably the best for this application, but you MUST follow the directions to the letter - otherwise, it won't hold for $#!T..."
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair

94 Bronco partial EVTM @ 1996 Ford Bronco '94 EVTM pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net by Mikey350

1994 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1994-Ford-Bronco.pdf

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by Ford via BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom
Al
That should be the first thing to do. It might save a person alot of time.

OP
OP
Y

YJ351LC

Reaction score
That should be the first thing to do. It might save a person alot of time.
The sill is good. I read the alignment thread and seem to think it is the sagging mentioned due to the weight of the swing away tire. The seams on the body are off and the tailgate seems to be lower than it should be. Trying to upload pics but no luck yet.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo YJ351LC,
Welcome!

A good replacement is at

View attachment 29768

... have VIN ready.

Al
Looks like the front was cut off and it is too short buy yje picture, Showing the part. W
The sill is good. I read the alignment thread and seem to think it is the sagging mentioned due to the weight of the swing away tire. The seams on the body are off and the tailgate seems to be lower than it should be. Trying to upload pics but no luck yet.
It could be. Never know until you check it out.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Looks like the front was cut off and it is too short buy yje picture, Showing the part. W

I also read a add about the quater panels on the bronco. With the outside spare mount. Is thicker metal. I don,t know for sure,

OP
OP
Y

YJ351LC

Reaction score

Finally got the pics to upload.

Pic#1-3 Apparently, they lost these two bolts on both sides of the top. Does anyone know the OEM bolt size and thread?

Pic#4-5 show the alignment issue. Not just the depth of the tailgate but also the body break. The tailgate is definitely sagging.
View attachment 29774View attachment 29775View attachment 29774View attachment 29775View attachment 29776View attachment 29777View attachment 29778
Thank you, ALL! I was able to make the adjustments and the top and the tailgate fit better and as they should. I was also able to get the window up and down. The issue with the window was, it had gone down too far because the bump stops are missing. Parts on order. Huge thanks, to Chris Your Neighbor for all of the videos on youtube!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you, ALL! I was able to make the adjustments and the top and the tailgate fit better and as they should. I was also able to get the window up and down. The issue with the window was, it had gone down too far because the bump stops are missing. Parts on order. Huge thanks, to Chris Your Neighbor for all of the videos on youtube!
Suppose to get up to 68 hear Friday. I have some adjustment to do to my tail gate. Hope its warm. So I can get out and work in a t shirt. Glad ypu got it fixed and thans for telling us.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Mike,did you see the shipping weight? 40 LBS----Looks like someone is CHEATIN--STEALING off the customers. It like that every where. Buy a tiny ***** for a gun and they want $5 or $10 their shipping. When they could mail it in a envelope for 50 cents

OP
OP
Y

YJ351LC

Reaction score
Update:
I was able to get the topper seated properly and align the tailgate to within millimeters, thankfully.

I appreciate all of the help and ideas!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke