Rearend Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kelly

Reaction score
my rearend was howling and i replaced the wheel bearings and its still making noise. my u-joints wre all replaced a couple of months ago. could the pinion bearing be making the noise?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sure could. You should open it up and check things out inside the pumpkin.

good Luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
K

kelly

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion. i pulled it apart and that was fun. it ended up being the inner pinion bearing. replaced both inner and outer and works fine. whoever put high gearing in 4-wheel drives should be run over several times. that's the next project in both my broncos. thanks again.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Just wondering, was the fluid level low? I gothalfway around the block and realized I didn't refill the gear fluid. Made all kinds of neat sounds and tosted the bearings, could be the 5:89 gears or the 60 mph driving in my neighborhood...

Seabronc

Reaction score
You will find a very nice chart at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard to help you select the right gearing for your tire size. The chart is set up at 55 MPH so if your normal cruise speed is above that :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> the formula is right above the chart so you can do the math yourself. Look in the 80 and up Bronco catalog page 30.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula