Rear Tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goffprof

Reaction score
DB- i had to straighten the latch rod as it had a slight bend in it. If it remains bent, it won’t unlatch and won’t consistently latch. The springs were ok, but I cut and stretched the return spring to get more tension. I also tightened the latch handle bolt *slightly* and lubed the fiber washers as the handle was cocked slightly and wouldn’t unlatch. Tightening the bolt kept the handle straight. Hope that helps.

cpb81

Reaction score
Curious whether you had any issues getting your carrier to latch securely after your refurbishment? Did you replace the latch springs and/or latch striker sleeve? I can't get mine to latch securely.
I have to slightly lift my tire up when closing in order to prevent difficulty in closing. I don't like to force the closing due to damaging the fittings. The rotting of rubber piece and falling off, caused my 96 to be difficult to close without lifting up bottom of tire, and it closes fine. I have to purchase a new rubber piece when at Ford place. My cover for tire is a solid, white metal cover, with stainless around the width of tire, and Georgia Bulldog magnet at center. Locks at bottom---pretty cool gift from wife in 98. I still have the original Bronco, black cover.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22