rear tailgate won't open...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaindrive

Reaction score
just brought home an '86 bronco and am starting to learn the ropes on this little beauty, and i can tell there is going to be a learning curve. @-)

a few things about it: 1986 full size bronco 4x4 with locking hubs, 351 cu in engine, automatic transmission (C6 i think, no overdrive gear).

o.k., the tailgate opened and closed when i got it. now it's in the closed position and the handle does nothing, it just goes up and down with no resistance and the tailgate won't drop down. the window still raises and lowers.

what could have happened? is there any quick way to fix this? i would like to be able to use the bronco this weekend.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

"...If the glass is clear of the shell, but you can't open the t/g, remove the inside access panel & pull these 2 rods inward. Either unclip them from the center mechanism, or pull them like bow strings to release each latch. Make sure the glass isnt so high that it engages the campers groove, or it could break. If it wont come down, unbolt the slides from the glass, or the motor from the regulator to lower the glass..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/160767

inside-c.jpg

Handle;

Handle & Latch Illustration for 80-89

Source: by Chris B (Blue) at http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/cbradley/tailgate_parts-handle&latch.JPG

tailgate_parts-handle&latch.JPG

mechanism-inside.jpg

The rod running to the Left (down) is the interlock rod that detects the glass being fully down. It is supported by a clip similar to the ones used for the hood cable. The one to the R (up) is the one from the handle. You can see that the mechanism it's attached to is bent. ..." Source: by Steve83

--

So, the clip may be broken or...

Inspect it after getting lass down and opening the TG

The glass is strong enough to support its own weight fully extended, but no extra weight;

miesk5 note, make sure the tailgate is resting DOWN fully (horizontally) by pushing or sitting on it before pulling glass out by hand (or closing driver side Latch by hand and using Key sw or driver's Dash switch to energize motor) because the cables need to fully stretched.

I use a standard height saw horse with a blanket folded to support da glass

and sliding saw horse under da glass. And I use blue painter's tape pieces on the glass edges so others will see it's down when walking by (and for me so I don't forget about the galss being down...lol)

SEE more TG LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=478

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
miesk5,

thanks for your reply! i'm gonna love this website.

i'll start on this right away. the picture and exploded view puts things in perspective.

the guy i bought the bronco from said there was a lock feature on the latch - you push the latch in after closing the tailgate. is this right? the owner's manual doesn't seem to cover it.

there's lots of work to be done on this old work horse(bronco). the vehicle was bought and owned in southern arizona, so at least i won't have any rust issues.

it has the high output/4 bbl carb 351, C6 auto transmission (at least i think it is, there's no overdrive feature on the shift selector), lock out hubs, 3:50 limited slip differential (H6 on the tag).98,000 original miles, one owner.

not a bad set up, what do you say?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal. Add that information to your signature.

Good luck,

:)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

re; the guy i bought the bronco from said there was a lock feature on the latch - you push the latch in after closing the tailgate. is this right? the owner's manual doesn't seem to cover it.

He prob. was yakkin' about that Handle - one reason it's that way now is he or prev. owner(s) tried to open TG while glass was still up a bit.

Check that bell crank & rod starighten it out if bent, as well as anythAng else that looks sssstrange...

Latch Safety Switch "...there is a plastic limit switch that is attached to the driver's side latch

(this is on side of tailgate, I use a ***** driver to close the driver's side latch's jaws, so that the glass can be moved by TG Key Switch or Dash Switch to work on internals; when done and window is retracted within the TG, Use the Handle to release the jaws)

This is actually what stops the motor from working if there is a problem with that rod. I mention this because I just tried to adjust the rod over a little . Then found that it still didn't work. Took the latch out....had to remove the window track on that side, and found that the plastic threaded piece on the limit switch was broke...keeping the window from moving at all. I replaced it with another switch from a donor tailgate..."; MIESK5 NOTE; "...The safety switch was moved from the tailgate handle to the left latch by 1983..." per Seabronc!

Source: by h8nlife (Ted W)

OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
it's fixed! :D/

can't thank you guys enough for the diagrams and good advice!

it turned out to be the connector attached to the release rod. i was able to find a part at a local garage.

i'm looking for the day when i can contribute and be an asset to this website.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23