rear quarter panel replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foul Al

Reaction score
hello folks, i am about to do some major cosmetic surgery to both my bronco's. i have 2 complete sides for one and was hoping to use the remains of that one along with some upper wheel arch panels to do the other!

I am hoping that someone here has done this before and could provide some guidance and/or suggestions along the way. My first concearn is getting to all of the tack welds that are there from the factory. i can see most of them but i know there are some that i can't. If there is anyone out there that could provide some pics. of thier work or of the rig with the sides off so i can see where them tacks are that would be awesome! and if someone wants to come lend a knowlegable hand... well i always have beer and food!! good beer too! Thanks for reading, Foul Al.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Hey Al,look at my gallery.The end of page 1 and some of page 2 show what it looks like on mine.There are like 4 hidden welds where the part of the roof behind the front doors meets the quarters.There were seriously a pain in the ass to break apart with out messing up the top half of the body that the quarters meet.I drilled out EVERY spot weld there was all the way around.I had to fabricate a lot of rusted out body pieces out of the orignal quarters metal.Also I have to add that I NEVER want to do this again.Between re-welding everything in then grounding the welds flat,the fabrication was what caused me to take so long.If you have ANY questions just ask.And any other pics just let me know.Ill look in my computer here to see what other pictures I have.

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
Hey Al,look at my gallery.The end of page 1 and some of page 2 show what it looks like on mine.There are like 4 hidden welds where the part of the roof behind the front doors meets the quarters.There were seriously a pain in the ass to break apart with out messing up the top half of the body that the quarters meet.I drilled out EVERY spot weld there was all the way around.I had to fabricate a lot of rusted out body pieces out of the orignal quarters metal.Also I have to add that I NEVER want to do this again.Between re-welding everything in then grounding the welds flat,the fabrication was what caused me to take so long.If you have ANY questions just ask.And any other pics just let me know.Ill look in my computer here to see what other pictures I have.
any other pics. you might be able to find would be awesome! i was taking a look at the sides that i have and your on the $$ about the harder tacks being behind the doors. i was thinking of a few ways to get that lip or tab secured with as little distortion as possible and i have an idea?!! if i bend the top inner lip that is behind the door just a little so i can get my mig in there, i could get a really good bite then massage the rest of the side into place. hopefully without any noticable crease to my new rear sides. thenthe rest should be pretty simple. my biggest concearn is if i do that then i might mess up the alignment for the rest of the rear quarter ! thats my best brain child idea so far. what do you think? i'll try to post a few pics of the sides and describe beter if need be. by the way... the sides from L.M.C. are sweet! they have the rear tail light buckes area in them!! i had called a few times to get a better description but nobody had any idea.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Havent been on for a while,Been ******* with stuff and too tired from work to get on.Ok first off you trying to get your mig in there isnt happening with out messing up the quarter.It has to be completly in place before you start welding it.The factory must have welded those 3 pieces of metal together BEFORE they put the interior metal in where the front shoulder belts come out at.And No you cant get to them from the inside either.Ill try to find more pics if I have them

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Mike!

I have to look @ your gallery next. And then add your pic Links to my site, if that's ok w/you.

I have Links to pics, complete 1/4 replacement like you did Mike, and also replacement w/body adhesives in lieu of welding; patch panels, fg installs, etc. http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=459

some of the big jobs are;

Replacement w/adhesive in an 86

Source: by Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=19605#content]

img_0064.jpg

esp Malcolm's use of an Astro Pneumatic 3/8\" Spot weld cutter

Replacement w/adhesive in an 86 (left click mouse & drag over to view narrative)

Source: by Matt J at TheBronco.com via web.archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/20051028150714/www.thebronco.com/projects/pr0203.html

Patch Panel Installation, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard in a 94

Source: by R94BroncoXLT (Ryan) at http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4853&s=21778#content

Wheel Arch Fabrication, Fiberglass in an 86 (some pics are gone, left click mouse & drag over to view narrative)

Source: by Matt J at TheBronco.com via web.archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/20051028150320/www.thebronco.com/projects/pr0201.html

Wheel Well Repair & Patch Fabrication with Welding in a 96

Source: by boss (bossind, Steve) at http://www.4x4preservation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133

GL!

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Thats fine.you can link it up.I just havent gotton a chance to look for more pics.Ill do that now in fact.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
I just looked and what I have is already up.The other pics are just pics of different spots on the floors not related to the quarters. :((

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23