Rear Bumper and Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Well, they're finally finished. Took a little bit longer since I don't have regular access to a welder. But I managed.

Photo0043.jpg

With the bikes loaded up for a day in the hills.

Photo0044.jpg

Photo0053.jpg

Closed up with spare and jack mounted. You can also see the roof rack and the utility lights. They are tied into the backup lights as well as having a stand alone on-off switch for lighting up the campsite.

Photo0045.jpg

Opened and locked. I use a 1/2" J-bolt that slips into a piece of tube welded inside the bumper. Drop in the j-bolt, and the carriers are locked open.

Photo0046.jpg

Close-up of the bumper. You can see the D-rings, receiver, and trailer hook-ups. Some diamond plate and non-skid make for a good standing surface to load things into the roof rack. What do you think of my tow point? I fabbed it up years ago before I had any D-Rings.

Photo0052.jpg

Side Rails. Bolted to the frame, and with some more non-skid tape, they make for a handy step, too.

Photo0054.jpg

Photo0055.jpg

Detail of the tire carrier. The hi-lift sits on a pin welded to the base plate, then a wing nut locks it to a bolt welded to the upright. A 5/8 eyebolt with a locknut, washer and spring between two plates make up my latch. The spring puts pressure on the washer forcing it tight against the lower plate. Lift up, and the carrier is free to swing. It takes some effort to lift that eyebolt, it's not going to pop out on its own.

Photo0056.jpg

Closeup of the hinge. I got a 1000lb hinge kit from Competition 4x4, and welded it into place. Two greasable bearings will keep it smooth and quiet for a long time. The spindle sits in its own sleeve inside the bumper, and that's what you weld on. You never weld to the spindle, saving it from heat stress and potential failure. The spindle slips into the sleeve, and locks with a roll pin. You can tack weld the lower end of the spindle to the bottom of the sleeve, but you really don't have to. You can also see the short bit of tube that holds the j-bolts when the carrier is closed.

Photo0057.jpg

The cooler rack. The upper, flat portion carries a 5g water can, and the lower fits up to a 24x15 cooler. I built it that way so a trailer tongue can still swivel to the left and not contact the rack. I have plans for attaching a 2nd level to this rack, then I can add a couple of 5g gas cans and a small generator.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo B MAN!

Looks great! VG for campimg and long days at beach or trail!

I like the spare being set to passenger side for better back-up view w/ws mounted rear view mirror.

& that cooler rack will hold a generator, gas cans, a full size fridge and all my camping gear for sure!

re; "...What do you think of my tow point? I fabbed it up years ago before I had any D-Rings..."

Is it (bumper mounts) attached to the frame w/stock brackets?

I was about to use my 96's step bumper w/ a tow hook to pull yew roots out, but stopped because I didn't want to bend the bumper's brackets.

Have you towed or pulled anything yet?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Looks good :D/

peace.gif

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
yo B MAN!

Looks great! VG for campimg and long days at beach or trail!

I like the spare being set to passenger side for better back-up view w/ws mounted rear view mirror.

& that cooler rack will hold a generator, gas cans, a full size fridge and all my camping gear for sure!

re; "...What do you think of my tow point? I fabbed it up years ago before I had any D-Rings..."

Is it (bumper mounts) attached to the frame w/stock brackets?

I was about to use my 96's step bumper w/ a tow hook to pull yew roots out, but stopped because I didn't want to bend the bumper's brackets.

Have you towed or pulled anything yet?
Yeah, I want this as a camping rig with a lot of off-road capability. For this round of upgrades, storage was the main concern. I can fit everything we need for a weekend trip on the roof and cooler racks. If we want to go out longer, we just need a single tub for additional dry goods and a camp stove in the back, leaving plenty of room for the dog and a couple extra passengers.

When I mounted the spare I was also thinking "where do i want to stand when I'm wrestling with this, in the ditch or in the middle of the lane?" Plus it sits low enough that I can barely see the top of it over the tailgate.

I made my own bumper mounts out of 4" C-Channel, and they are much more sturdy than the stock mounts. So far I've pulled a stalled car, a big pine tree that was blocking the trail, my dad's tool trailer, and a 24' boat on a tri-axle trailer 45 miles. I'm happy with how it went. Then again, I was paranoid when I welded that receiver in place so it got a lot of attention when I was running the bead.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

thanks for the info on the mounts!

you fabbed it better than "specs" and better than most I've seen.

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Photo0062.jpg

Photo0061.jpg

Here are inside and outside views of my bumper mounts. 4" of C-Channel welded to the bumper, then bolted to the frame in the existing holes with 5/8 bolts. I've only got 2 on each side, rather than the 3 the stock design calls for. 4" is not enough width to get them all in. 5" or 6" would be plenty. I compensated for it with two pieces of angle iron. One end is bolted to my existing receiver bracket with a small space to keep it straight, the other end is bolted to the lower ****** of the c-channel, with a small wedge between them to prevent shear forces and keep everything in tension.

The little fiddly bits were all included as part of my "universal" receiver kit, so it was just a matter of digging into the box. If I didn't have the bits, plan B would be to butt-weld a 6" extension to the frame, then weld a fish-plate tying the extension to the frame.

And I still have enough room between the gas tank and the bumper to mount a 2.5g air tank. On-board air is a planned upgrade, so I really wanted to have room left over to mount it.

(wait til you guys see the off road trailer that'll be paired up with my Bronco. :D )

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well, they're finally finished. Took a little bit longer since I don't have regular access to a welder. But I managed.

View attachment 11122

With the bikes loaded up for a day in the hills.

View attachment 11123

View attachment 11127

Closed up with spare and jack mounted. You can also see the roof rack and the utility lights. They are tied into the backup lights as well as having a stand alone on-off switch for lighting up the campsite.

View attachment 11124

Opened and locked. I use a 1/2" J-bolt that slips into a piece of tube welded inside the bumper. Drop in the j-bolt, and the carriers are locked open.

View attachment 11125

Close-up of the bumper. You can see the D-rings, receiver, and trailer hook-ups. Some diamond plate and non-skid make for a good standing surface to load things into the roof rack. What do you think of my tow point? I fabbed it up years ago before I had any D-Rings.

View attachment 11126

Side Rails. Bolted to the frame, and with some more non-skid tape, they make for a handy step, too.

View attachment 11128

View attachment 11129

Detail of the tire carrier. The hi-lift sits on a pin welded to the base plate, then a wing nut locks it to a bolt welded to the upright. A 5/8 eyebolt with a locknut, washer and spring between two plates make up my latch. The spring puts pressure on the washer forcing it tight against the lower plate. Lift up, and the carrier is free to swing. It takes some effort to lift that eyebolt, it's not going to pop out on its own.

View attachment 11130

Closeup of the hinge. I got a 1000lb hinge kit from Competition 4x4, and welded it into place. Two greasable bearings will keep it smooth and quiet for a long time. The spindle sits in its own sleeve inside the bumper, and that's what you weld on. You never weld to the spindle, saving it from heat stress and potential failure. The spindle slips into the sleeve, and locks with a roll pin. You can tack weld the lower end of the spindle to the bottom of the sleeve, but you really don't have to. You can also see the short bit of tube that holds the j-bolts when the carrier is closed.

View attachment 11131

The cooler rack. The upper, flat portion carries a 5g water can, and the lower fits up to a 24x15 cooler. I built it that way so a trailer tongue can still swivel to the left and not contact the rack. I have plans for attaching a 2nd level to this rack, then I can add a couple of 5g gas cans and a small generator.
You done a very nice job and it looks really good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj