Re-centered Hummer rims on my 84

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
A few months ago, I bought some 8-bolt Hummer H1 rims with 36x12.50R16.5" Goodyear RT-II tires to put on my 84 Bronco with the F-350 axles. I had a shop in Houston, TX (Creative Engineering OFf-Road) cut out the centers, fab and install new centers for the 8-lug axles, install rock rings and cut down the run flats that go inside the tire and serve as inner beadlocks. I then had a friend powdercoat the rims silver, and I put the tires and rims together last weekend. The rims are 2-piece, and weigh about 70 pounds without the tire. The centers are 3/8' flat plate, as are the rock rings. Here's a link to some pics of the assembly, and a pic of the rims and tires. Soon as I overhaul the brakes, I'll put these on the Bronco. I did test fit the rims before the powdercoating was done. JSM84

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford...ry/1133/57018-4

h1rims2.jpg

h1rims7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

trailmule

Reaction score
Those are some kick ass rims! I love them! Can't wait to see 'em on the Bronco! Don't you love having something you will never see on someone else's truck? (kinda like tattoos - it would **** me off to see someone with one of mine)

Roadkill

Reaction score
That's some pretty ingenious work. I like 'em. Particularly the part about shaving those runflats. Are you using the two piece metal runflats or the one piece rubber ones? If it's the one piece, does shaving them down make them any easier to compress down and slip into the tire?

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I'm using the two-piece, magnesium ones that bolt together:

h1rims4.jpg

Roadkill

Reaction score
That looks a lot easier to put together than having them full sized. Don't see to many of those around on the Army HMMWV's anymore. When they switched from the bias tires to the newer radial style, they also switched to a one piece rubber runflat. It's about the same size as the assembled magnesium one. To get it in, you have to fold it in half and compress it then slip it in at an angle while releasing it as it goes in. A real pain in the @$$. They have a speacial tool to do it, but being an Army tool it usually becomes useless after a few uses. Then you have to make do with a ratchet strap; also a pain in the @$$. Your mod looks like it will make the assembly job much easier.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Those are super :D/ That is the first picture of wheels and tires that made me jealous :(( or even think of upgrading my axles @-) . Those ROCK :wub:

:)>-

rubberdust

Reaction score
wow looks sweet, & should be very dependable, but that is some serious unsprung weight increase. How big are you going with the brakes to get all that stopped?

I run into guys that are blinging out their trucks with heavy 20 or 22 inch wheels & then can't get them stopped.

I did a 4 piston caliper disc conversion on the rear of mine running LT315/75R16 (35X12.50R16) which really improved the stopping distance on the pavement but has a bit to much rear bias now in the dirt that I haven't gotten around to dialing out yet.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Yes, I'm upgrading the stock Bronco brakes, using the F-350 booster and MC, calipers, and custom making some lines to the F-350 axles, JSM84

1fast

Reaction score
Those are awesome wheels and tires. Would it be possible to have them recentered to work with standard axles?

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Those are awesome wheels and tires. Would it be possible to have them recentered to work with standard axles?
Yes, you can fab the centers for any lug pattern/spacing you desire. The stock H1 rims have a huge backspacing of about 7 inches, with an 8-lug pattern different from my Ford axles, so that's why I had new centers made. It changes the bs to about 4 inches.

1fast

Reaction score
Yes, you can fab the centers for any lug pattern/spacing you desire. The stock H1 rims have a huge backspacing of about 7 inches, with an 8-lug pattern different from my Ford axles, so that's why I had new centers made. It changes the bs to about 4 inches.
cool, how much would one expect to pay to have that done? and what kind of shop would do that? That seems like a very one off kinda thing. I have never seen h1 wheels like that before either the ones i have seen are the ones that have the ctis on them they look a little different.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
The flat, 3/8" plate centers go for about $40-$50/ea, and the labor for stripping/sandblasting, cutting and welding the rims runs about $100/ea. Any welding or fabrication shop can do this. CEO did mine. you can find the rims $ tires at govt. auctions, ebay, or somone is usually selling them on local classifieds like Craig's List for $25-$50/ea.

1fast

Reaction score
The flat, 3/8" plate centers go for about $40-$50/ea, and the labor for stripping/sandblasting, cutting and welding the rims runs about $100/ea. Any welding or fabrication shop can do this. CEO did mine. you can find the rims $ tires at govt. auctions, ebay, or somone is usually selling them on local classifieds like Craig's List for $25-$50/ea.
so basically under 200 bucks a wheel, that sounds like a killer deal and a really unique look.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Yes, about $200 per rim. The cheapest weld-on beadlocks are about $200/ea. The H1 run flats serve as an internal bead lock, since the 16.5" tires don't have a safety bead like other sizes. The 36" GYR's are about $150-$200 each new. Not sure how many miles mine have on them, but here's still 90% tread left. So, when I go to 44's, I can hopefully get something for these tires.

1fast

Reaction score
Yes, about $200 per rim. The cheapest weld-on beadlocks are about $200/ea. The H1 run flats serve as an internal bead lock, since the 16.5" tires don't have a safety bead like other sizes. The 36" GYR's are about $150-$200 each new. Not sure how many miles mine have on them, but here's still 90% tread left. So, when I go to 44's, I can hopefully get something for these tires.
when you want to get rid of them let me know. Im sure shipping will be very high from tx to nc. how does the internal run flat work ?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat