Project Tetanus/ the mail order Bronco.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
after getting the dash test fit,
olIsj94.jpg

I cut the fenders for gorilla war flares. I know a lot of people like the uncut look, I am not one of them. I think it makes the bronco look unbalanced so I cut them and test fit the flares. in the mean time one of my old tires that came on the bronco had a blow out just sitting in the garage, so I bit the bullet and bought the new wheels and tires earlier than planned.

bryAaUD.jpg

K41QokK.jpg

esEL2Zu.jpg

I also bought and installed a hood scoop to clear the intake.

H8QjjrY.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
I needed to adjust the door gaps a bit so I ended up getting a hoist that I had wanted for a while, I installed it and used a 4x4 with lag screws to lift the back of the truck to get the shims in place.

n6itKuX.jpg

then I started working on the gas door. I did not want the stock gas cap on the side of the bronco. I looked into doing a 77 style, but ultimately bought this setup from Hagan street rods and welded it in.

gPTrito.jpgSNwBtzk.jpg

gzCYVPM.jpg

zFUHlDc.jpg

it was about then that I realized I had not test fit the hood with the air breather on. and of course it was hitting. I tried lots of different things to try to make the hood work because I could not find an aftermarket hood I liked. until I did. I found an awesome hood from bronco design that eliminated my problems and looked way better on the underside than that steel hood ever would.

zH9X3lC.jpg

LpFXbBU.jpg

it required some tweaking to make it work by the paint and body guys, and I ended up needing a 2 inch body lift, but all in all I am much happier with it.
then I test installed the emblems and tried out a couple different mirror options, ultimately deciding on the smaller ones.

YZXH7oT.jpg
POrGRti.jpg

PUxnnqX.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
then I pulled the body back off the frame put it on the body dolly and waited until the body shop guys could get it in.
pSxl5Bs.jpg

then the hardest part of the entire build began. deciding what color to paint it. of course everyone had an opinion. ultimately I just gave up and had them paint it Brittany blue.

zYeqDDB.jpg

several months of body work then ensued. even though this was a completely new body with no rust.

I needed to have them clearance the hood for the air breather, so they removed that back ridge. Corey Sunday from bronco design said it would not impact the strength of the hood.

FnXxoh9.jpg
m9uEJVP.jpg

qiaWWJv.jpg

while they worked on that I did some work on the fuel lines. rerouted them a bit to make it easier to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump if I ever needed to .

94BlTYZ.jpg

Dq4brdZ.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
once the color started going down it was pretty exciting.

iXAghVO.jpg

bDoHJyq.jpg

KmxGlcp.jpg

I had them raptor line the underside with dove grey raptor while they had the body off, then we put the body back on the frame and I brought it home.

exMMUxi.jpg

Wh8CRys.jpg

4e2Pu6G.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Not long after I got to this stage my Dad passed away. It’s been hard finishing it without him but Like the song says, life goes on long after the thrill of living has gone
Please accept my Condolences on the passing of your Father.
Al

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
once I had the body back I tried to mock up the HVAC system, and i really did not like the way it looked.

qw8vYVU.jpg

so I made a major shift, one of many. and decided to go with a restomod air system.

I switched to a diablo style bulkhead that cleaned up the firewall nicely I thought.

rb8Psrs.jpg

then I put down 2 coats of lizard skin sound deadening, 2 coats of heat shield, and 2 coats of raptor liner charcoal grey. It took me several long nights because it was so hot at that time I had to wait until after midnight to start work. so three days of not sleeping much but I think the results are worth it.

QVBGzLV.jpg

c3jXCWq.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
Please accept my Condolences on the passing of your Father.
Al
Thanks. it's always tough to lose a parent, and my Dad and I were close. He was probably my best friend, certainly my best helper, and the one guy I always talked cars with. I am pretty much alone in that now except for the internet. nobody in my circle of friends is really into cars. so its just me and my dogs. but we muddle on.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
then came the fun job of wiring everything, and of course with my change in plans with the HVAC it made wiring it more difficult because the AAW wiring harness fuse block wouldn't fit in the new smaller glove box. I ended up putting it in the center console cubby, but that made me change my stereo plans. ultimately I got it done, and with only a few minor snafus. hooked up and installed the amp research steps and tested all the wiring circuits.

I also had 2 tribute plaques made for my Dad

his initials are RDM and this was taken from his signature. the last documents I had with his hand writing on it. the funeral arangement papers that he had set up before he died.

IzD0S3l.jpg

I put the other one under the hood to cover up a large hole I didn't use, and so there would be one up front for car shows.

dEIoTEi.jpg

I also installed the pedals and brake and clutch linkage.

WOrAtAw.jpg

Mqnbfem.jpg

4jhrLVZ.jpg

g11Wv4x.jpg

oClhWZt.jpg

GwjaR4O.jpg

GJayb9V.jpg

YYyAry7.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
at this point I decided I wanted to go with a holley ****** system because I was having trouble figuring the fitech system out. the ****** system was just easier and had more online help.

I also cleaned up the wiring a bit. I decided to install the coil on the fender to keep it away from the wiring. RFI is a major problem with all these fuel injection systems.

gYKI9iu.jpg

PrtXyWs.jpg
8tgwSE4.jpg
I put in some procar seats and 3 point belts and roll bar.

44DHei0.jpg
IVh3F9S.jpg
ohfW35l.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
I put windshield stiffeners and a bikini top on it. I had to do some modification to get the windshield stiffeners to work with the bestop bikini top.

m75b1KB.jpg
E5aW4DN.jpg

XqtXtIX.jpg

I also installed a fuel pressure gauge to keep track of fuel pressure while driving
nOdiiBu.jpg

moonhead

Reaction score
Wow. Beautiful. Sorry to hear about the passing of your father.
This is an amazing write up and a stunning build. Thanks for taking the time and the rescue!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I know the loss of dad, mom, and other family members too well friend. To avoid sadness, I dwell on those great times at yards with dad, uncles,and aunts, cousins, grandfathers and mom swaping engines, etc.
Those were great times! Never to be forgotten...
You said it all Mike. Thank you.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Glad no body was close to the tire when it blowed up. I saw a guy get a big truck tire blow up on him.He was about 3 feet from it. He steped upon the running board of a 5 ton tractor to check the paper work. Had his hand holding onto the tire. It blowed him about 20 feet. He was a harbor police in Viet Nam. He was back on duty a couple of hors. Good guy too. Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. As Mike said its hard,sad and takes part of us with them,. These place like Bronco forums helps alot. Thanks Mike

chrlsful

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your loss. Sending my condolences. Mine just passed as well (him close to 95 & me @ late 60s). Wish he was as close geographically as ur own.

On a happier note welcome to the bronk world. Gad to C ur learnin new. Met someada same characters, glad 2 C U spread ur money around. Tried to tel Matt the same as he mostly used 1 guy. Now has branched out. A good thing in my mind. Keep them all in business we don't get 1 vendor only in the end.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
Glad no body was close to the tire when it blowed up. I saw a guy get a big truck tire blow up on him.He was about 3 feet from it. He steped upon the running board of a 5 ton tractor to check the paper work. Had his hand holding onto the tire. It blowed him about 20 feet. He was a harbor police in Viet Nam. He was back on duty a couple of hors. Good guy too. Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. As Mike said its hard,sad and takes part of us with them,. These place like Bronco forums helps alot. Thanks Mike
yeah me and the dogs were just sitting over on the couch relaxing and just heard a big boom and woosh. nothing was damaged fortunately and I knew the tires were dry rotted. I had only hoped to get it through the paint process before replacing them, but it all worked out.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your loss. Sending my condolences. Mine just passed as well (him close to 95 & me @ late 60s). Wish he was as close geographically as ur own.

On a happier note welcome to the bronk world. Gad to C ur learnin new. Met someada same characters, glad 2 C U spread ur money around. Tried to tel Matt the same as he mostly used 1 guy. Now has branched out. A good thing in my mind. Keep them all in business we don't get 1 vendor only in the end.
thanks. yeah I prefer to buy from many places. I think it helps everyone. more competition means better prices and more products. I am excited for the future of the Bronco. while this is my first one to own, I have loved them for years. Sorry to hear about your Dad. its never easy to lose a parent no matter how old they get. At least with my Dad, I could see how miserable he was in his last couple years. while he was not all that old, his health had deteriorated badly and he had been in the hospital several times. and basically he was ready. so it made it a little easier. but I am struggling with a new problem now, and could use his help, and I still have all his tools kept in his tool box just like when he was alive, the other day I forgot to put one of his snap on wrenches back in its spot, and when I saw it i said oops sorry Dad, out loud. I am sure he got a kick out of it wherever he is lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke