Power loss under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gettin there

Reaction score
Hi All,

It's been a while. Since we painted our 1970 Bronco we have been driving it as adaily driver with no worries. Until now,

She has a 302 with Eldelbrock carb. 1200 miles on complete ground up rebuild.

Went to pull some trucks out of the mudd and that's when the fun started. Drove around the stuck vehicles on my new 35's feeling like I owned the place. Hooke up to the first mini truck and started towing him to the black top. Out of the blue my motor starts bogging down likes is being starved for fuel and finally dies. Cranks bak up and when the towing starts she does again.

Each time it takes longer and lopnger to crank, almost likr it needed to col down. The temp was normal?? Didn't know if a bad ignition could cause this. I plan on pullong all fuel filters and replacing.

Last piece to the puzzle. Smelt like something was burning. Not quite electrical and not quit the clutch. But a strong smell. Haven't been under her yet. Too much mudd and too cold to spray her down.

Anythoughts would be appreciated!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Not your filters., or highly unlikely.

If it stinks.., it's your clutch thats "fried" & likely will need replaced.

No real clue why the slow re-start.....possibly created a vapor lock.. :unsure:

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
Not your filters., or highly unlikely.If it stinks.., it's your clutch thats "fried" & likely will need replaced.

No real clue why the slow re-start.....possibly created a vapor lock.. :unsure:

We are starting to lean in that direction. It drives okay since then but I think your right about the clutch. Thanks!

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
Hi All,

It's been a while. Since we painted our 1970 Bronco we have been driving it as adaily driver with no worries. Until now,

She has a 302 with Eldelbrock carb. 1200 miles on complete ground up rebuild.

Went to pull some trucks out of the mudd and that's when the fun started. Drove around the stuck vehicles on my new 35's feeling like I owned the place. Hooke up to the first mini truck and started towing him to the black top. Out of the blue my motor starts bogging down likes is being starved for fuel and finally dies. Cranks bak up and when the towing starts she does again.

Each time it takes longer and lopnger to crank, almost likr it needed to col down. The temp was normal?? Didn't know if a bad ignition could cause this. I plan on pullong all fuel filters and replacing.

Last piece to the puzzle. Smelt like something was burning. Not quite electrical and not quit the clutch. But a strong smell. Haven't been under her yet. Too much mudd and too cold to spray her down.

Anythoughts would be appreciated!
IMG_1139.jpg

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
After a little more research and a beer or three... Turns out the problem was two problems. She finally quit starting. I shot some carb cleaner in the carb and she fired right up. Replaced all filters and electric fuel pump. Then started the re-timing process. Got it timed perfect and she would stammer under load and back fire when slow idling. Turns out the vacum hose was hooked up to the wrong side of the carb. 2 years we thought she was supposed to lope at a slow idle. Now she purrs like a kitten and after testing her last week is back in action. I have to admitt, last weekend was the first time I was pulled out of the mudd hole:) But is was great being in the deepest part and going the furthest:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23