No power under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Johnnyreb, Not following your post friend. Put what on number 1? What button am I noticing? Move what back to see if what button has moved?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Johnnyreb, Not following your post friend. Put what on number 1? What button am I noticing? Move what back to see if what button has moved?
Pop the distributor cap and you will notice a oblong thing-about 2 and a half inches long. That is your rotary button. TIE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP OUT OF THE WAY. Now take the #1 spark plug out. If you have help. Put you finger over the spark plug hole and have them bump the switch-just tap it until you hear and feel pressure where you finger is over the hole. Have them STOP. You are on or close to TOP DEAD CENTER. Now look at the TDC MARKS on the harmonica balancer--THE BOTTOM ON. Now look at the tTOP POINTER MARK. You want to line BOTH of them up. After you get them lined up. Check the rotary button.To see if its pointing to where the number 1 plug wire would be on the distributor cap. If it is. Now turn the (by hand--DO NOT HAVE THEM CRANK THE MOTOR. Tell the to step out. Now turn the motor buy hand slowly backwards. Notice the rotay button as you turn the motor. If it stays in the same place and the motor turns--you have slack in the timing chain. If its a inch or more--chain is wearing out. If it has alot of miles like mine hand. The new chain took up slack in the bottom of my motor and I had to over haul it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Pop the distributor cap and you will notice a oblong thing-about 2 and a half inches long. That is your rotary button. TIE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP OUT OF THE WAY. Now take the #1 spark plug out. If you have help. Put you finger over the spark plug hole and have them bump the switch-just tap it until you hear and feel pressure where you finger is over the hole. Have them STOP. You are on or close to TOP DEAD CENTER. Now look at the TDC MARKS on the harmonica balancer--THE BOTTOM ON. Now look at the tTOP POINTER MARK. You want to line BOTH of them up. After you get them lined up. Check the rotary button.To see if its pointing to where the number 1 plug wire would be on the distributor cap. If it is. Now turn the (by hand--DO NOT HAVE THEM CRANK THE MOTOR. Tell the to step out. Now turn the motor buy hand slowly backwards. Notice the rotay button as you turn the motor. If it stays in the same place and the motor turns--you have slack in the timing chain. If its a inch or more--chain is wearing out. If it has alot of miles like mine hand. The new chain took up slack in the bottom of my motor and I had to over haul it.
Your questions tell me you are not experienced working on motors. The people hear will help you alot and as you did me,.If you have a question-ASK. Its how we all learn and hear for to help what we can.Good luck.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Your questions tell me you are not experienced working on motors. The people hear will help you alot and as you did me,.If you have a question-ASK. Its how we all learn and hear for to help what we can.Good luck.
Remember to line the timng marks up and rotary button to #1 on distributor.Its where your spark plug wires go into. Their should be 2 clips hp;ding the distributor cal on.One on the back and one on the front.

chrlsful

Reaction score
I wuz gunna sat timing but not @ chain (That's a good ideer tho). Press from side, between the 2 gears, does it press in there (loose) more'n 1/4 inch?
Initial timing & mechanical timing (all ways ck the fastest easiest cheapest solution 1st. If less than 10 yrs experience never do more than 1 change ata time B4 ckin results. Throwin parts @ a problem confuses the diagnosis. U cant tell which one effects a result.

Often timing issues seem like gas ones. I'd do a complete timing tune up to rule that out. Still problems? carb/induction is nxt, not other way round (as above w/O.P.ers)~

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke